Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

How to find the model of my 3

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 08:44 AM
Default How to find the model of my 3

Hello,

I have a 2018 Mazda 3; I believe it's a Sport model (it's a hatchback). I'm in the process of buying a set of rims so I don't have to do the full swap between summer/winter tires twice per year. Simply put, I don't know how to figure out which submodel the car is. It doesn't say anywhere on the car that I can find, and the Owner's Manual doesn't seem to have any info either. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kyle

Old 07-12-2019, 09:03 AM

Which engine, what are the factory wheel/tire sizes, and what kind of interior does your car have?

Old 07-12-2019, 11:33 AM

I just typed my license plate number and state in: "www. vehiclehistory. com / license-plate-search" and it gave me an incredible amount of information about my car including the trim level. (It also listed the Vin number which shocks me that Vin / plate number is available to anyone on the internet.)

I see that you are in Canada, so this site will likely not work for you, however, I have found a few other sites in the past that have provided nearly the same information. Google VIN Decoder or Vehicle Recalls by VIN. You should be able to find what you are looking for.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by mazdaCPA
I just typed my license plate number and state in: "www. vehiclehistory. com / license-plate-search" and it gave me an incredible amount of information about my car including the trim level. (It also listed the Vin number which shocks me that Vin / plate number is available to anyone on the internet.)

I see that you are in Canada, so this site will likely not work for you, however, I have found a few other sites in the past that have provided nearly the same information. Google VIN Decoder or Vehicle Recalls by VIN. You should be able to find what you are looking for.
There's a ton of info besides this, but there's no mention of GT, GS, nor GX. It does list "Wheel Size" for front and rear wheels as 18 inches.Seems that's all the info I need, yes? You may be able to tell: I don't know much about cars

Old 07-12-2019, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle King
There's a ton of info besides this, but there's no mention of GT, GS, nor GX. It does list "Wheel Size" for front and rear wheels as 18 inches.Seems that's all the info I need, yes? You may be able to tell: I don't know much about cars
I'm not familiar with Canadian models, but the combination of 18" wheels and a 2.0 liter engine implies the mid-level version of the Mazda3. In your case, your best option would be to stick with 18" wheels for your new set, and go with tires which match your specific need.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator

You could easily run 16" rims with winter tyres. Mazda didn't change brakes between grades.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:24 PM

You can plug in your VIN on https://www.mazdapartsprime.com/ to decode the VIN and find out what type of submodel you have.