Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

HID Conversion questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Default HID Conversion questions

I've been thinking for some time of upgrading my 2007 Mazda 3s hatchback from the stock factory lights to HID lights (conversion kit not the super expensive kind) anyway I have several questions as I know nothing about this sort of thing.

I read that projector headlight assemblies were the best for this particular upgrade and reflector assemblies scatter the light. How do I tell what type of assembly my car has?

Also I've read that all HID conversion kits are not street legal is this true? and if so how strictly is it enforced?

thanks for any input

Old 02-22-2012, 05:41 PM

Ok this is coming from someone who tried this. I attempted this conversion, the one where you just replace the bulbs and use the stock housings, on my old truck (reflector style). DO NOT DO IT. One reflector style housings are designed for ONE type of bulb and no other, if the filament is widthwise (as mine was, 9004 bulb) the HIDs are LENGTHWISE so the focus of the light is WAAAAAAAAAAY off, as in my headlights were now just floodlights with NO hotspot or focus, I could light up the tops of trees AND ditches as I drove by. The other issue on these "conversions" is the amount of heat the HIDs put out, after a week of running these I melted my housings and had to buy new headlight housings and put my old 9004s back in. Long story short keep what the car has for stock lighting, if you want HIDs get the real housings made for them that were options for the car, do not use a conversion.

Oh and yes it is completely illegal to do this, at least in my state, and they can enforce it because you will blind the cop, bingo instant ticket. But if you really really really want to try it just change ONE bulb and compare at night on a wall how bad your lights really will be.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:31 PM

A projector headlamp housing has a "sphere" looking part in front of the bulb (like you would find on a digital projector).

I have converted mine on my 2008 with no problem at all so far, and I have had them over a year now. The hardest part was finding a place to mount the ballast and I still don't like where I have them now.

As far as legalities, in IL where I am from HID are perfectly legal, as long as the light emitted is between a blue and a amber hue. You folks over in Indiana seem to get away with more than us on the western side of the line so I'm assuming you will be fine, but always check your states vehicle codes.

The one item to watch out for is that the blue'er the light, the quicker it dissipates after leaving the fixture. I have an 8000k system and there was a noticable difference in the light it emits.

So you have to decide whether you want look, or safety. Also, a higher quality more expensive system will tend to emit more light than a cheaper system like I have.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:51 PM

I had a similar question a while ago regarding the low beam lighting,or should I say lack of it,on my 2011 hatch. After much searching, I decided to take my Mazda to a local shop with state of the art headlight equipment. To make a long story short, I had the lights properly adjusted and can say that the difference is amazing,and have yet to have anyone flash their lights at me.