Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Getting bad gas mileage!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 08:28 PM
Lev
Default RE: Getting bad gas mileage!

I forgot to mention that i did check the air pressure in my tires andthey were fine. i have an automatic and i always put it into manual mode so i can upshift as quickly. i am usually in 4th by 25 mph. i dont gun it at red lights and i stay aboutfive to ten above the speed limit. there aren't many stoplights where i live so i am not in stop and go traffic.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:26 PM

ORIGINAL: mzdaspd304

Denser oxygen which is colder just provides a better combustion with less work hence better efficency which leads to better gas miliage. Think about it when the piston strikes cold dense air over warmer lose air which one is going to perform better? after all you all your doing is smashing air and gas together lol. But if you really want to get into thermodynamic physics which my bro just went through (god rest his soul) an internal combustion engine at is max is only 35% efficent it was some low percentage like that
Ummm...

Cold, dryair is indeed more "dense" than warm humid air and denser air means more 02 content which means the ECU is going to add more fuel to ensure the Air Fuel ratio is not lean. That is why you make more HP with cold air. It has nothing to do with efficiency. It is more a factor of better performance. Also, a cold air intake may indeed let more and/or colderair into the engine so again, the ECU may have to add fuel. Although you will make more power when the air is cold, your mileage will also suffer but it may or may not be noticeable.. Plus, many cities add ethanol to their gas in the winter months which drops mileage even further. I can tell you on my lightning, when it is cold, it makes a very noticeable amount more HP than when it is above 80 and humid, etc. but my mileage does suffer usually.

Alos, the piston does not "strike" the air....it "compresses" the AF mixture to help aid combustion.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:31 PM

Oh well no doubt. I have a cai in my car and not have my temp gauge go up a quarter of the way after driving about 30 miles to work and that even if i let the car warm up for about 5 min. My gas miliage suffers big time driving it cold but it just corralates to what you said though about having to dump in more gas. I always throw a check engine light to which only seems to me came on after i put the cai on. The codes i throw are ap0128 and p0126. Which comes to. Coolent temper below thermostat threshold temp. and Coolent temp in unstable conditions. So im thinkin a shotty thremostat but then again im not 100% sure.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:51 PM

That would be your thermostat and nothing to do with CAI.....the thermostat is stuck open and your car never warms up and the ECU keeps dumping fuel in thinking it is still cold, etc.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:46 PM
PAC

Ummmmmmmm, interesting - who would've thunk the thermostat.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:20 PM

That will do it. It will also wear your engine faster because it never warms up. Dude, get that fixed!!

Old 02-21-2007, 04:14 AM

1. If you did not drive your car gently and at various speeds when it was new, the motor may not have set properly, and you could be stuck with bad gas mileage forever. Can't believe how dumb some new owners are, going out and driving hard (or going on long highway trips) when their carsare spanking new. Respect the break in period, or pay the price.

2. If you have a 2.3 motor, your fuel economy will be poorer than with a 2.0. I have heard it's an even wider margin than thegovernment fueleconomynumbers suggest it is.

3. I have heard an unconfirmed rumor that engines with VVThave lowerfuel economy. Anything 2006 and new has VVT.

4. Be careful to not have your AC on if you do not need to have it on. Read your owner's manual, and be aware that the AC is on automatically when certain air flow (vent) options are chosen on the climate control panel.

5. Too much zoom zooming (lead foot driving) will obviously impact mileage, as will bad shifting (over shifting and revving up the engine will both hurt fuel economy).

I able to get about 30 mpg (us gallon) with my 2.0 automatic. My typical driving is about 1/3 stop and go, 1/3 major thoroughfare, and 1/3 highway.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:56 PM

One thing i have noticed is you have to pay attention how much your pushing the engine around town.

i noticed the engine revving at around 2000 rpm, and it was keeping its speed, when i started paying attention i i noticed it will hold its speed just fine at 1500 rpm, i trained myself to be lighter on the gas pedal while crusiing, and i went from 240-250 miles a tank to filling up today (11 gallons) with 303 on the trip meter.

i hope that made sense.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:44 PM

I don't know to much about cars, but driving my 04' m3 from OH to WI I was pulling between 65-80 mph and I would get about 35-39 mpg... In the city it's a lot lower like 22-25[>:]

Old 06-17-2007, 02:25 PM

I recently purchased a 2007 Mazda 3 s Touring. from what the spec says 31 MPG on highway. with approx. 13 Gal tank you should get about 400 on a full tank (just before your low fuel light goes on). uhm i did not keep track of my MPG., but i commute to work which is about 32 miles each way, so 64 a day.and in 3 days, my tank goes down to half mark. which is about 192. and i fill up my gas tank every 6 days, so i get about 384 a tank and i am in the HOT weather zone. (85-105 degress F). i would like to get a pressure sensor for my tires. what do you guys think?

Quick Reply: Getting bad gas mileage!