Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Gen4 suspension lift question

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 08:19 PM
Default Gen4 suspension lift question

Hello, I'm considering getting a Gen4 Mazda 3 hatchback within the next year. I've searched without luck on options for raising ground clearance about 1". Blasphemy I know, but I hate SUVs and want a bit more clearance so I can go on winter and summer adventures on unpaved roads (Washington State) with a bit less stress (Crosstrek considered, but crummy mpg and Mazda is just so much better looking and more fun).

I autocross (e30) and know enough about suspension to know the basic adverse effects (higher cg, increased body roll, alignment and probable camber change, imperfect balance/tuning, etc).

Any unofficial suggestions on options? Spring spacers? Swaps from heavier models like cx30 that will fit? I'm hoping there are reasonable options otherwise I'll have to look at other car options that meet my checkboxes (manual, hatchback, 35+ mpg... This barely makes the cutoff but Mazda's better driving dynamics and aesthetics push it over into consideration.) Thank you for your time.

Old 07-01-2021, 09:28 PM

I and other's because of the subject and that there is a extreme safety issue if not done correctly should not be telling you what to get for your car. Installing none specific suspension parts like springs .This is much different then buying upgraded parts designed to fit your car. So I will word it in a way that will allow you to take the ball and run with it but not give you information specific . Fair enough? No insult intended, if you know more then what you are saying in your first post!

I am also assuming that this is also a somewhat budget project or we would be talking about a full custom air lift and bag system correct?

1 inch is doable but you are going to need to do all the research. There is no mystery to strut spring and defiantly not rear coil springs. The trick is you need to start looking for OEM aftermarket suspension parts manufactures and start looking at the specification of the springs. Don't look at what they fit that will only cause confusing and misdirection.
Unfortunately these engineering specification seem to have become almost unavailable to the general public???? So you may need to contact via phone and talk to a tech. Make sure you say this is for an off road track car only. DONT SAY you are trying to alter the suspension on your street vehicle. They will end the help at that point!

And for some that think you can't do this... I am running KYB GAS-Adjust high pressure (old stock white shocks ) on the rear and a pair of *moog springs but they ain't for a MAZDA application on my 2018 Mazda 3. When I installed my stereo system and sound deadening material adding a few hundred pounds to the rear it dropped and I needed to raise it back to at least level with the front. This meant I had to find a spring that would fit but have an installed specification based on my weight to raise the rear of the car back up to factory height and not create the buckboard effect from to high a spring rate. IF you were to ride in my MAZDA you would not really feel the difference at cruising speeds however the lateral G was increased enough that I could not only feel it but was showing on my D-Pic gauge that measures cornering in % of G force applied.
* https://www.moog-suspension-parts.co...il_springs.asp

Spacers up to 1/2 inch thick are also a good choice but will decrease the handling characteristic some what. 1 inch is a lot to ask in a spacer. They remind me of those coil spring knuckles and reverse clamps from J C Whitney that some used to rack their HOT Rod in the 70's I personally would not use more then 1/2 polyurethane spacer and only to solve small problems.

Good luck and don't be discouraged it will take a little time and research effort on your part.

These would be a bit more pricy but if you don't want to go to all the work ......
http://coilsprings.com/specialty_vehicles.aspx

Last edited by Callisto; 07-01-2021 at 10:04 PM.