Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

GAS MILEAGE IMPROVEMENT -- MUST READ!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 01:48 AM
Default GAS MILEAGE IMPROVEMENT -- MUST READ!

Hey everyone! Just thought I'd post something I think you'll find very useful! One of the ONLY complaints about the 3 is that the car doesn't get the advertised gas mileage. This is especially prevalent in the 3s Auto. I have a 2006 3s GT and I was getting about 23.5 average MPG with almost entirely city driving. I just recently installed a K&N Drop-In Air Filter (Part # 33-2293) and a Purolator PureOne Oil Filter (Part # PL15505) and I'm now seeing 28 average MPG for the SAME city driving....it's a HUGE difference! I haven't changed anything else to include my driving habits. The air filter can be had for $48.99 at Pepboys (I had to order it and it took a week to come in) and the oil filter is $8.49 at Advance Auto Parts. I would HIGHLY recommend both of these upgrades...bit of a power difference but definitely big GAS IMPROVEMENT....trust me you won't be dissapointed!

Later,
Jason

Old 04-06-2006, 01:53 AM
Default RE: GAS MILEAGE IMPROVEMENT -- MUST READ!

Cool thanx for the info...now if only i could get the money.

Old 04-06-2006, 04:59 AM

dude that aint much for alot of gas savings. welp its official, pure synthetic oil dont do squat for gas savings. i've had royal purple in my motor for like tha last 1500 miles and nothings changed, still get the whole 32 mpg(mostly freeway). My buddy said maybe its continuous usage or maybe the dealership that does tha change didnt use the oil, but imma give it a 2nd change and go with redline this time its like 2 bucks more a bottle, and with my 240 i always had better response with redline than royal. wish me luck!

Old 04-06-2006, 05:05 AM

You don't think a 4.5 MPG improvement is much of an improvement? That's a 17% improvement in fuel economy for a total of about $58 (48 of which you'll never have to spend again for the air filter). I'd say that's pretty significant!

Old 04-06-2006, 05:14 AM

i was already gettin the same mpg before royal

*edit* i have the 3i with ATX w/sportronic manny crap(truly is crap) so i've alwayz had about 30 mpg give to take a mile or two if i mash on my way to work
*edit* i wasnt makin fun of what you did to your car, i was talkin about royal purple only, i already knew about the k&n it truly is an investment in that filter. im slowly changing things to my car to see what works and what doesnt, after the oil thing imma do the filter then try out the puralator
*edit*"dude that aint much for alot of gas savings" i meant that aint much spending to get the good mpg improvement, sorry i didnt check my words

Old 04-06-2006, 07:52 AM

Have you guys heard of AMS oil? Is is the most popular form of racing oil. I have gotten 20 more miles on a full tank with this oil.

Old 04-06-2006, 10:28 AM

Oh ok no problem krimson...I just read your post wrong..it's all good!

Jason

Old 04-06-2006, 11:16 AM

Ive been hearing alot about Redline im thinking about trying that out first.

Old 04-06-2006, 05:53 PM

Ok, If Redline doesnt get you the results . The AMS oil will.I have been using it for my race car and My Mazda 6. I am getting 31mpg on the highway. 2.3 Automatic 4 speed!

Old 04-07-2006, 02:08 AM

Ok i have posted earlier, but i think my Mazda 3s is really somewhat weird. I for some reason i always get different mileage, the lowest in city was 21mpg, the highest 24mpg but this is changing the fuel type, as for K@N for some reason my mileage dropped, well tomorrow i have to fill up the tank and i think i will have about 315-320 on 12 gall = 26.25-26.5 mpg, but this is the highest i am getting, maybe because i have tested couple days ago driving on very low RPMs even slower than grand ma for 15 miles or so. Don't know, but tomorrow i will put my K&N filter back ,and will test a cuple more times. I have never used expensive oil filters, but seems like next time will go for Pureone, and probably will try to use 5w-30 or 10W-30 instead of 5W-20, heard the mileage will drop, but who knows, you never learn unless you try. oh ya 5W-20 wears out engine faster.

Quick Reply: GAS MILEAGE IMPROVEMENT -- MUST READ!