Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Fuel Economy Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 09:14 AM
Default Fuel Economy Upgrades

What are some fairly simple upgrades or part replacements to perform to help get better fuel economy out of my 3? Right now Im averaging about 24 miles in town, but if possible I would like to do a little better than that. I have heard that things like the air filter and such can help with this, but I dont know whats fact and whats not. Thanks!

Old 05-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Default RE: Fuel Economy Upgrades

with a cold air intake, 31-32 lbs of pressure in the tires and regular gas, i consistently get 31+ MPG out of my 2.3 liter. The best I ever got was 35 MPG on a long highway trip home from college (with a full load though).

If you want to see immediate increase in fuel efficiency, get a cold air intake...just remember its going to take a little while to pay for itself considering you'd be dropping around 200 bucks and you have to consider the general risks you take on when getting a cold air intake. Short rams are pretty much a complete waste of time/money because they suffer from heatsoak and lose performance - you'd be better off just keeping your stock airbox at that point.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:45 AM
Default RE: Fuel Economy Upgrades (Nitrogen?)

I got a flyer from a dealership (not Mazda, I forget who) in the mail the other day, saying they will fill your tires with nitrogen, which they assert will improve your fuel economy.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:01 PM

ok how will No2, i think is the thing for Nitogren, improve your gas milage?? I haven't heard of this one before.. please fill us newbies in, thanks....

Old 05-12-2008, 08:14 PM

According to those promoting nitrogen:

1) It does not heat upas muchas regular air does, meaning it puts less load on your tire sidewallsat highway speeds, especially on hot days. Does this help mileage? Probably not. Is it a significant help to your tire? Debatable.

2) Molecules of pure nitrogen are larger in size versus regular air. So what, you might ask? Given the molecules are larger, the rate at which they leak out of your tire (all tires leak) is much reduced versus regular air - this has been scientifically proven. So, tires properly inflated with nitrogen will stay properly inflated longer thanthose inflated with regular air. This is how it helps mileage, according to the promoters, since the tires stay properly inflated longer, delivering better gas mileage. True, you can get the same result by simply being conscientious about checking your tire pressure, but there are real world stats that say many drive around on underinflated tires, thus wasting gas. For many, the only time their pressure gets checked and topped upis when they get an oil change.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:56 PM

Helium would make our cars lighter. Handling may suffer though. Could float over other cars in traffic.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:57 PM

mazdachris javascript:void(AddText(''))
we shoudl try that just in case we float over it hahahaha
ill be so happy no more waisting time in traffic with horrible drivers that almost hitting you and putting middle finger up at u ( i cant stand that one almost hit me from side and flip me off fo rit but they merge on me...how stupid can people be?!)

Old 05-13-2008, 07:19 PM

sounds like ur the horrible driver

Old 05-14-2008, 03:00 PM

how am i horrible driver if people merg at me with no signal and flip me off
for all years i drove yes i might get out of hand at night on highway and go above 100 but there usually no one on highway around 2 am that worst thing i do lol

lol anyways anyone heard of hydrogen boost or something like that i seen a kit for cars supposed to improve gas mailage by far

Old 05-14-2008, 09:20 PM

Since I spend most of my time in the right lane, slow lane. I can offer my two cents. When coming up to merging traffic, change lanes (middle lane) and allow them to merge. Especially commercial 18 wheelers.

That's just my opinion. No offence intended.

Dam, tricked into off topic................again!

Quick Reply: Fuel Economy Upgrades