Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Fronts or Backs

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Default Fronts or Backs

a buddy gave me 2 brand new pioneers that he baught form ebay and got them as 6x8 instead of 6x9 which is what he needed....should i put them in the back or in the front, which speakers should i replace to put these pioneers.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Fronts or Backs

We've already talkedabout how theOE rears sound muddy. That may be your answer right there.
I'm sure the Pioneers have at least a built in tweeter, if not a mid-upper mid driversso it should brighten up the soundback there.But imo, it would be better to get another pr and install them in the front too. You will almost certainly have a tibre difference between them and perhaps a power issue too, though you can compensate for that using the radios fader.

Just my .02.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:13 PM

yea i was thinking the same but i will prob get some 6x8's later down the road...for now i'll stick them in the back. they are pioneer 3 way speakers.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:45 PM

i changed them today...HELL of a diff no more distortion and it seems the pioneers are asking for more power..by the way i recommend EVERYONE to change there speakers in there mazdas..i took out the speakers and said wtf is this....the OEM speakers really look and feel like crap no wonder they sounded bad too.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:55 PM

Do you know what the ohm and watt ratings are on the stock speakers so aftermarket ones can be matched up better?

Old 02-26-2008, 05:27 PM

4 ohm for the stockers. 2 ohm if you have Bose. And I would have changed the fronts 1st as thats where you hear the music. And as for the Pioneers wanting more power. They probably have a low eff. rating. And the stock HU only puts out 15-20rms (on a good day).

Old 02-26-2008, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I was torn w/that even as I suggested that. My thinking was that since the OE's in the front doors are already clearer than the rears, thatimproving the rears would be less of a shock/difference. More balanced, if you will?
I have liked the Pioneers I have installed in the past... though I admit I am no longer a car audio aficionado (if I ever was?) I have looked to Pioneer again as cheap replacements for my OE's and depending on the model are usually rated between 89 and 91db/w @1k. That ain't too bad.
Also, I have found speakers that have too high an spl (93-96) often tend to be a little treble heavy.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:16 PM

no the front speakers are alot clearer than the back speakers so i changed the back... the bass is solid now and the vocals are real clear and made a difference that i thought i wouldn't be able to notice since the stock unit is still being used.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:53 AM

I have my system set-up so my imaging is coming from in front of me. Kind of like at a concert the music comes from the front. Now mind you I still have rear speakers it's just they aren't noticable over my front stage. And I'm actually a for rear fill.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:38 AM

Can you safely run a 2 ohm speaker off of the stock (non-bose) head unit? Or, do you have to run a 4 ohm speaker with it? Will a 2 ohm cause any over heating or other problems or just be brighter and louder?