Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Front springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 05:09 AM
Default Front springs

just installed some Eibach's on my car tonight and realized that the front stock springs are a F*$%ing B*^ch to get off. finnally got them on after banging them off with 2'4/s n hammer. about a 1.4' drop looks nice. but the second after driving it, going over bumps i hear a clunk probably just the new springs setting in?

Old 12-19-2007, 07:11 AM
Default RE: Front springs

Did you get the ends of the springs properly set into the pocket in the strut? Did you torque the bolts at the top/bottom of the strut properly?

Old 12-19-2007, 01:53 PM

ya im pretty sure i fit them in correctly. just hand torqued. im thinkin now that the cars down maybe everything should be tightened again cuz the force could have changed the weight distribution on some bolts.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Nick, there's supposed to be a gapof1/4-1/2" between the end of the spring and where it fits (seats) into the strut housing.Make sure that it looks like that and hasn't moved since the install.
Ifyour sure that's the way you installed them, andthey have moved, double check EVERYTHING for proper torque. Somthing is loose.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:10 PM

are u talking about where the top of the spring fits into that rubber thing, that curves to fit on the spring? it seems pretty straight forward when fitting it back together, i dont want to take apart the whole thing again just to see if that is aligned right.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

No.Where the bottom end of the spring lines up with the strut housing. There's a edge (forlack of a better description) or stop that the end of the spring lines up with in the housing but is not supposed to make contact. If the spring is in contact at that point with the housing that can cause the noise that you may be hearing.1/4-1/2" gap required.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:04 PM

ohhh k i know what your talkin about yea that could be it. ill check tonight when i put my back ones on. thx bud

Old 12-19-2007, 06:01 PM

Please put lock-tight and proper torque to those fasteners (not hand torque)....You don't want those to fail or come loose on you.

Which is a bigger pain in the ***, taking the time to do it now or having something come apart in your suspension and cause an accident.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:28 AM

yea im going to take the wheels back off n re tighten everthing, and maybe try and spin the spring so that its not touching the metal. we will see how that goes. ill take some pics n post in the nxt few days. thxx

Old 12-20-2007, 08:41 AM

ya, those struts are a bitch to get out. it took me a bunch of wiggling the strut, and ALOT of hammering to get out. but alas, i finally got em out and installed the springs
btw, what springs did u get?? sportlines??

Quick Reply: Front springs