Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

foglight idea

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 11:12 PM
Default foglight idea

Hey, folks, I am thinking a lot about a fog light design lately, just wanted to run it by you folks, see if it's possible to make it happen. Mine is a 07 i sedan, and like the fog housing, but don't like the oval OEM fog lenses. Wanted a *yellow* fog light that fill the housing, (see the doctored photo), would like the fog to be independent, having a switch to control it. Also would like the fog light to have two bulbs in each set, one is a normal fog bulb, the other is an off-center low wattage bulb (4 DRL?). An alternative is a two-filament bulb, low setting for DRL, high setting for fog. Yet another alternative is a single bulb, but for DRL setting, it runs at 60% power. (am i obsessed again?) it may be not feasible at this moment, but will be on the lookout for these type of fog/drl combo. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

[IMG]local://upfiles/13140/D92C519DA3C6471FB909F2CEA8D4A1CA.jpg[/IMG]
________
The Peak Towers Pattaya

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:07 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: foglight idea

Hmmm. I think I can help you out in part at least, but don;t have that much time @ the moment. Let me get back to you.

I will say that the "independent fog light mod" has out there for a long time and has been successfully accomplished by many a 3 owner. A relatively quick switch of some wires in the fuse/relay box does it andthey are then stillcontrolled by the factory switch.
Personally, I don't see a need for it as fog lights should only be used w/low beams anyway and in most places that I'm aware of, it's illegal.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:37 PM

Thanks, Virgin, below is the Texas Fog Lamp Law:

----------------------
?? 547.328. FOG LAMPS PERMITTED.
(a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two fog lamps. (b) A fog lamp shall be:
(1) mounted on the front of the vehicle at a height
from 12 to 30 inches; and
(2) aimed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam from a lamp mounted to the left of center on a vehicle projects a beam of light at a distance of 25 feet that is higher than four inches below the level of the center of the lamp. (c) Lighted fog lamps may be used with lower headlamp beams as specified by Section 547.333.----------------------
Look like it can be independent for Texas, as for NY, I could not find related regulations (if someone knows, please jump in). Below is excerpt from car inspection (screen capture)

[IMG]local://upfiles/13140/B8B8EF6A6E6A43C595CDB34BE46A288A.jpg[/IMG]
________
Wellbutrin Attorney

Old 11-20-2007, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Ah, keep in mind that Texas has TWO sets of lawsdepending on whether or not you're talking about inspection or "driving" laws.
I didn't know that either untilI got into an argument w/someone about my 5% rear tint who swore that 25% was max for Texas.
I lost the argument because the inspection laws states thatthedriver's compartment must be at least 25%, but anything past that, including 5%, is legal.
The second set of laws, the Driving laws, state that ANY passenger compartment must have no less than 20% pass tint on it. As long as the vehicle has TWO side mirrors, anything behindany passenger's compartment is legal up to 5% pass. That leaves the traingular rear windows and the back light.
I was pulled over, but not ticketed, for it once... when we had so much "stuff" in the hatch area it wouldn't have mattered anyway... and the dealer I bought the car from had it installed before I ever layed eyes on it.
STUPID, but typically Texas.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Also,I must refer you to part of what you yourself had included....

"(c) Lighted fog lamps may be used with lower headlamp beams as specified by Section 547.333.---------------------- "
W/O actually looking up that statute, a very time consuming process, or can be, it could mean anything, and I am the distrusting sort. My best guess is that it means that they cannot be used in conjunction w/high-beams, indicating that the independant fog light mod is questionable at best.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:36 PM

truthfull i want the 04 fog lights. those look sooo much better.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Me too.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:46 PM

boo you.. wanna trade. even though i dont have fog lights i got those plastic thingys. even swap lmao

Old 11-20-2007, 11:15 PM

so independent fog + hi-beam could be a legal problem I guess. Physically, hi beam make the visibility worse in fog.
anyways, I found that PIAA makes a tri-beam lamp, which looks pretty much what I wanted. Haven't found any picture of them being installed on mazda3 yet. http://www.eautoworks.com/ORD-1-1-1-86214.cfm

________
Kid Depakote

Old 11-21-2007, 03:56 AM
Super Moderator

The statute as you listed it is so vaguethat I would expect that field officer's can interpret it any way they want. i.e. fogs w/no other beams on = illegal?

Quick Reply: foglight idea