Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Filter Replace

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Default Filter Replace

It seems like it's a bit of a PITA to put on a CAI. Do you have to go through all that trouble to replace the filter or does a CAI make it easy to get to the filter?
Also, has anyone seen a difference just by putting in a K&N stock replacement or another brand (no CAI)?

Old 01-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Filter Replace

First answer: It"s not really that bad. About an hour- hour and a half. I removed the front bumper cover to do some additional exploratory surgery so it did take me some additional time. I wasn"t in a big hurry when I installed mine.
Second answer: Yes, and no. You can reach the filter through the now open sub-frame rail, but to actually get it off like that...? You should be able to approach it from the bottom though by removing or loosening the front splash shield apron.
Third: No. I put a K&N panel in and noticed no difference. I cut additional breather holes and a huge slot in the bottom of the box (a poor man"s SRI.) No real difference either, imo. Some seem to like it, but I thought I had wasted my time... though it was worth the try at least.
Anyone need a slightly used K&N panel filter?
j/k

Old 01-05-2009, 09:03 PM

Ah, thanks for the info. With the filter before the TB and sensors, I wouldn't want to put an oily K&N panel in. I was thinking one of the new performance dry panels might be ok but, if the only difference is in your wallet, then I'll skip on that.

Say... why aren't there any computer programmers for these cars? Or are there and I just haven't seen them?

Old 01-06-2009, 07:18 AM

Oh, can you put a cone filter directly to the TB? Eliminating all that plumbing?

Old 01-06-2009, 04:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Aubrey

Oh, can you put a cone filter directly to the TB? Eliminating all that plumbing?
Not a good idea at all. Doing that will end up in bypassing the MAF along with another part that I can't remember the name of. As soon as you do that and start your car, it will die instantly. I've done it, just to screw around, and that's the end result i got. Your best bet is to go with the "plumbing" (like the term btw). Get yourself an SRI and call it a day. CAI's are way too risky with hydrolocking IMHO.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:43 PM

SRI?

Old 01-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Short Ram Intake. An aftermarket intake, an alternative to a CAI that usually offers better top-end performance but a loss in low-mid range torque.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:29 PM

Thank you Richard. I wasn't around the computer to answer his question.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:46 AM

Ah, thanks. Hmm, I like my low/ mid torque. Dang.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:23 PM

My SRI really doesn't take away my low/mid range torque. I actually see better all throughout the power band with my particular SRI.

Quick Reply: Filter Replace