Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

DPF Regenerating Too Often

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 05:38 PM
Default DPF Regenerating Too Often

Recently my 2010 Mazda 3 sport (1.6 Diesel) had issues with ash in its dpf filter. I had a mechanic clean the filter for me and change my oil at the same time.

I have a 77km commute each day, each way and everytime I get onto the motorway my DPF starts regeneration after about 15 minutes. I stay at 2500rpm so the car should definitely be passively regenerating. Now I could be wrong but I feel like the dpf is regenerating as my current fuel economy will shoot up to nearly 8.0l/100km even on a straight road when it could be using 4.5l/100km the moment before. It's then impossible to get the car to use less fuel without slowing down. After about 10 minutes the car will suddenly drop in the fuel it's using back to what it should be.

The regeneration should have plenty of time to complete but my car regenerates twice a day and a few weeks back it would regen twice per trip. This has cause me too have extremely bad fuel economy and I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue. Does my dpf just need replacing or is it something entirely different?

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks

Old 12-15-2021, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

When did it last go to Mazda for a software update?

Who does the servicing on it? Does all the data get reset?

Old 12-16-2021, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
When did it last go to Mazda for a software update?

Who does the servicing on it? Does all the data get reset?
Hey there thanks for the reply.

It's a mechanic that my father knows that does the work on the car. I recieved my forscan cable yesterday and reset the dpf values myself to see if that would fix it but after my trip in the car today the car started to regenerate after 15 minutes which I figured would happen but then proceeded to regenerate just before I reached my destination about 30km after the first one. I was at 2500 rpm the whole way. I also forgot to mention my eolys fluid was topped up by that same mechanic when the dpf was being cleaned.

On forscan here it is showing me PCM P2458-61 as an error code. I've tried looking up this code but I haven't found anything on it

Thanks,
Adam

Old 07-23-2023, 10:21 AM

Hello I have A Mazda CX3 1.5 AWD Diesel I'm having the exact same problem with mine its driving me crazy and costing a fortune in fuel and diagnostics. Mazda have not got a clue what's wrong with it or other garages it has been carbon cleaned and always serviced on time, ever 100 miles it re-gens did you manage to get this resolved? I'm at a total loss. All computers are saying no issues, no warning lights no idle issues or misfires. DPF reading are showing zero no smoke or soot.

Old 07-23-2023, 10:23 AM

Welcome to the forum

Old 07-23-2023, 10:27 AM

sorry that means nothing to me I'm not sure if that was a reply to my message?

Old 07-23-2023, 11:58 AM
Default hello

Originally Posted by Callisto
Welcome to the forum
thank you for the welcome

Old 07-23-2023, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by mike1201uk
Hello I have A Mazda CX3 1.5 AWD Diesel I'm having the exact same problem with mine its driving me crazy and costing a fortune in fuel and diagnostics. Mazda have not got a clue what's wrong with it or other garages it has been carbon cleaned and always serviced on time, ever 100 miles it re-gens did you manage to get this resolved? I'm at a total loss. All computers are saying no issues, no warning lights no idle issues or misfires. DPF reading are showing zero no smoke or soot.
yes I resolved the issue by having it gutted and mapped out. Been over a year now and passed any emission tests ( at least here in Ireland anyway) it’s not smokey or anything after. I would recommend this depending on if it will pass in the country you’re in. Hope you get it resolved👍

Old 07-23-2023, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Adzy
yes I resolved the issue by having it gutted and mapped out. Been over a year now and passed any emission tests ( at least here in Ireland anyway) it’s not smokey or anything after. I would recommend this depending on if it will pass in the country you’re in. Hope you get it resolved👍
i apologise i dident understand, im from the uk it passes emmissions no smoke just keeps re geberating every 100 miles, when u mean gutted u had dpf cleaned and ecu re done?

Old 07-23-2023, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by mike1201uk
i apologise i dident understand, im from the uk it passes emmissions no smoke just keeps re geberating every 100 miles, when u mean gutted u had dpf cleaned and ecu re done?
Essentially there is a honeycomb filter in the DPF that gets clogged up which cause this regeneration. It can get clogged with either ash or soot. When it’s ash the DPF will need to be replaced, cleaned or gutted. I went for the gutted option. The physical housing of the DPF is still there but the honeycomb filter is removed. This way they can’t fail you for not having one. You will need a remap on your ecu after this to stop the car from throwing up any error codes. Mine cost me €350 in total but to get it cleaned was €200 and a new one was €450. The last 2 options are only temporary solutions but gutting it is a permanent solution to your problem. Hope that that’s clear and you can get it sorted

Quick Reply: DPF Regenerating Too Often