Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Determining exact transmission type on 2012 Mazda 3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 02:26 PM
Default Determining exact transmission type on 2012 Mazda 3?

I have a 2012 Mazda 3 2.0 SkyActiv with an automatic transmission. I want to replace my transmission fluid, but I am unsure of which type Mazda fluid to get. The 6-speed auto takes one grade of Mazda fluid, the 5-speed auto takes another grade, but I am unsure which one I have. If anyone is familiar, mine does not have a normal auto transmission dipstick that can be found near the top of the engine. Is that a clue to which transmission? My owner's manual does not tell me. I tried a VIN lookup, but that didn't tell me.

Old 07-04-2020, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

With the introduction of skyactiv technology, a new engine & transmission was released.

You will need either genuine Mazda FZ-ATF or CASTROL TRANSMAX DEXRONŽ-VI MERCONŽ LV

Personally I would only use genuine, but thats just me.

Old 07-04-2020, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
With the introduction of skyactiv technology, a new engine & transmission was released.

You will need either genuine Mazda FZ-ATF or CASTROL TRANSMAX DEXRONŽ-VI MERCONŽ LV

Personally I would only use genuine, but thats just me.
I presume that means I have a 6-speed transmission. Along with the FZ-ATF, would I need to buy a transmission filter as well, or is that just a drain-and-fill job?

Old 07-05-2020, 09:51 AM

An email from Castrol

Contactus@BP.com <contactus@bp.com>
To:*****999@yahoo.com
Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

Castrol always recommends following the guidelines of the original engine manufacturer for the recommended fluid for use in your specific application. This information can be found in the vehicle's owner's manual or by contacting the manufacturer directly.
According to Castrol’s Lubrication Recommendation Guide, Mazda ATF FZ fluid is recommended for use in the automatic transmission Mazda vehicles.
Castrol Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF is suitable for use where Mazda ATF FZ type fluid is specified and may be used in your application.
Castrol cannot guarantee compatibility with competitive fluids as we do not know their proprietary formula, therefore we recommend a complete drain of the transmission and re-fill with Castrol Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF.
This should include draining the torque converter which holds about one-half of the ATF volume -- dropping the pan will not cause the torque converter to drain.
You may find directions for draining the torque converter online, or may wish to have this service performed for you by a service facility.

Castrol Consumer Relations

Last edited by Callisto; 07-05-2020 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:57 AM

Unless you are having a shop do a Professional transmission fluid service replacement then the DIY fluid service is dropping the pan which will only replaces about 5qt about half of the transmission capacity of fluid. You should at least be changing the Transmission filter while doing this service.

Old 07-06-2020, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Transmax multivehicle is specified for non skyactiv transmissions.