Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

dashboard connector

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Default dashboard connector

at the lower left corner of the dashboard of my '07 3i touring, there's a empty pocket, and on the right side of the pocket wall, there is a connector, anybody know what that is used for? thanks.

i was just aware of the security issue that the 3 has, mostly in Canada, a "bump" in someplace on the passager door near handle could unlock the car. But the car is the same, be it in the US or in Canada. are you folks concerned? what can we do?
________
Verona

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:28 AM
Default RE: dashboard connector

are you talking about the pocket above the hood release thingy? lol.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

If you're talking about the one above the hood release then that's your OBDII connector.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Yes. That's what he's talking about.
As ic said, it's your OBDII (On-Board Diagnositcs) connector.

As far as the break-ins are concerned, if you don'tleave anything in the car someone would want to steal, you shouldn't worry. My neighbor once left her cellphone, a case full of CD's and 2 boxed speakers her car, then was surprised when someone broke her window and all was gone the next morning. Duuuuhhhhh!!! She never struck me as being too bright in the first place.
I've read (somewhere) that Mazda will install a heavy steel plate behind the affected area to (help?) solve the problem. But that they are not advertising it. You have to make your case and ask to have the kitinstalled.
Oh, and the plate weill not stop someone from trying to break in. IOW's, you may still have the dent, but they might break their hand in the process too. That would serve the bastardsright for trying it in the first place, and would be worth a trip to the body shop.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:13 PM

thanks for the notes. now I know.

af far as the reinforce plate goes, has anyone had any sucess in asking Mazda to install the kit, do I have to be a victim first to justify this to Mazda. anyways, feel pretty powerless when Mazda told me they are not going to do anything.

on a unrelated topic, I found the headlight pointing too low, and attmping to adjust it, located the adjusting screw on both sides, figured that turning the screws toward the center of engine can raise the beam, but I am lacking of a reference to align the two beams perfectly, any ideas? The manual mentions nothing about it at all.

BTW, i got the trip computer unlocked on my 3i touring, following the instructions here. many thanks.
________
PROBLEMS WITH DEPAKOTE

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:30 PM

Both times my cars have been broken in they either: 1) broke the window out or 2) Pulled the lock completely out of the door (probably used a slide hammer or something similar)

If they want into your car, they'll get into your car.