Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Dang! 2 cats, 1 muffler and 2 resonators?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 10:32 AM
Default Dang! 2 cats, 1 muffler and 2 resonators?

I had a different exhaust tip intalled on my 07 Mazda3 today so I looked under the car while it was on the lift. No wonder the car is so quiet! Two cats, Two resonators and one muffler. I asked Mike (muffler shop owner) about replacing what looks like a conventional oval muffler with a Magnaflow muffler to get a touch more noise out of the car. It's to dang quiet!! I don't want a Honda, fart can, ricer exhaust but a little noise would be nice. I let Mike drive the car, he's been thinking about getting a commuter too. When he left the shop and went down the street, I heard ZERO, ZIPPO exhaust nosie from the stock exhaust. He suggested instead of installing another muffler, just replace the oval muffler between the first and tailpipe end resonator with a piece of pipe. He thought that the other stock exhaust components (two cats and two resonators) would still keep it pretty quiet and give me the little bit of noise I'm looking for. Anyone done this?
Jim

Old 06-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Dang! 2 cats, 1 muffler and 2 resonators?

[font=californainfb] Two resonators, Jim? My '04 only has one, just behind the second cat.
As you already know, I haven't done this, but I think it's a good idea. I complained about the same thing from the time I brought mine home nearly three years ago and wanted just a bit more sound to help w/shifting.
It's not easy to make these engines sound ricey, like many Honda's. It's not really where their sound dynamics lie. But if you are looking to keep away fromthat ricier sound Magnaflow may not be your best choice, as in the upper rpms they do tend to be more on the buzzy side. It's not terrible, again like Hondas can be, but it is there.
Perhaps just a std Flowmaster muff could be fit to it?

Old 06-02-2007, 01:18 PM

get a catback system...imo just replacing the muffler would be a waste of money.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:20 PM

agreed.
i just got my magnaflow catback in yesterday...
IMO, $500 cdn for a catback isnt too bad

Old 06-02-2007, 05:01 PM

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z...p/26499cb5.jpg
Here's a pic of a Mazda3 system from another site. It has a cat, then resonator, then a big muffler and nothing else until thestainless tip. On mine, I have the same cat and the same resonator after it, then mine changes. Where the big ribbed muffler is in the pic, I have a smaller more conventional looking oval muffler. Then just before the stainless tip, under the bumper, there's another small ribbed looking resonator but I guess it could be another muffler. I was told on another site that the PZEV (?) engines have this exhaust in green states. I guess it's a low poluting engine for really smog restrictive states? All I know is that it makes my 3 darn quiet. I'm going to remove the small oval muffler and have a straight pipe put in. That will still leave a cat, a resonator and another resonator/muffler to keep things quiet. If I don't like it, I'll put in a small Magnaflow muffler.
Jim

Old 06-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

[font=californainfb] Yup! That's was like my system before the change out all right. That big, dumb stupid looking muffler. Ford's influence I believe?
WOW!! So for '07 they added ANOTHER resonator?? What are they thinking?

No wonder you can't hear the car. Very stealthy!

Old 06-02-2007, 05:27 PM

ORIGINAL: virgin1
Yup! That's was like my system before the change out all right. That big, dumb stupid looking muffler. Ford's influence I believe?
WOW!! So for '07 they added ANOTHER resonator?? What are they thinking?

No wonder you can't hear the car. Very stealthy!

Instead of one big dumb looking muffler, I havea smaller dumb looking muffler and atailpipe resonator. It's VERY QUIET!TO QUIET! There's no exhaust feedback at all to help out with engine rpm's. The K&N filter helped some with the engine noise but I need more feedback. I'm not looking for a performance gain, not turning the car into a racer. I just want a little noise to help when I have the trans in manual mode so I can get some engine rpm feedback without having to look at the tach. The other day I was playing with the manual mode and bounced off the rev limiter because I couldn't tell the engine was reving that high, couldn't hear it. Startled me to say the least! I figure removing one muffler in the system should free up a little noise.
Jim

Old 06-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

[font=californainfb] Oh I understand what you're after, believe me.I was concerned about making mine too loud w/ the Vib... and @ times it can be more than I wanted. but as I'd said, it's controllable w/the go pedal.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:58 PM

just a suggestion to lighten-up and breathe better: consider removal of resonator.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:58 AM

ORIGINAL: virgin1
That big, dumb stupid looking muffler. Ford's influence I believe?

And what makes you think that virgin1?...(as a Ford Engineer, I take offense to that statement.)

FYI...Mazda does their own engineering on their cars. They design their own cars, and determine what can fit in their cars (including a muffler). Especially one designed, built and exported from Japan.

Quick Reply: Dang! 2 cats, 1 muffler and 2 resonators?