Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Damn Wheel Locks!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Lev
Default Damn Wheel Locks!!!!!!

I was rotating my tires today. Driver's side was completed, no problem. When i got to the passenger side, my wheel lock was not budging. I started to jump on it. Then something happened, and the key flew somewhere, and the bolt broke. The key is a little stripped and is just stripping the other bolt. How am i suppose to get the broken bolt off now?

Old 03-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

OUCH!!!
Hmmmm. They may have to be drilled out unless you can find a master key somewhere. I would check your dealer first. ($$$$ Sorry)
Chances are the winter weather and road salt in your area has caused corrosion between the aluminum wheel and steel (locking) lug nut.
Next time, be sure to Anti-Seize everything well (a very light coating will do wonders) before torquing and you shouldn't have that problem anymore.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Lev

I had a feeling this would have to involve a visit to the dealer. Luckily one just opened up ten miles away, instead of my usual 30. I figured it was the salt and rust making it stick. It was in the mid 40s and sunny today. I've been suffering from cabin fever and needed to do something outside. My tires needed rotating badly, so i figured i'd do it. I can purchase the Anti-Seize at advance auto parts? Do i put it on where the bolt and rim touch? Thanks for your help Richard

Old 03-02-2010, 06:50 PM

yea whoever mazda got there nuts and bolts from need to be hurt...badly, wheel studs is the worst on the 3 for accumulating an obscene amount of rust, just wait till you take a good look at the nuts and bolts holding the splash shield together, i literally have to replace every single one. But yes anti seize will make things alot easier in the future

Old 03-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

You can use Anti-Seize anywhere you don't want two metal pieces to grow together. And yes, Advanced should carry it, as well as any other decent part store. Its made by Permatex.
I use it between the back of my wheels (mating surface only) and the brake disk hats to keep the wheels from sticking too. The lug studs, spark plugs, etc....
But I warn you now: If you don't want it to spray itself around everywhere as the wheels rotate, use it VERY sparingly. Just make sure all the surfaces are lightly but completely coated. Wipe off any excess. It's silver in color and is a b*tch to get off. Paper towels are the preferred method, and usually many of them. (Take the roll, not a small handful.)
Oh, and the splash shield bolts is a good place for Anti-Seize too. When they get rusted backing them out will break the connection between the capured nut and its base. I too had a few that were giving me trouble, but no more!!

Last edited by virgin1; 03-02-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Lev

Ok cool, Thanks guys. Now to make the appointment to get the nut off.