Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Considering picking up a MS3 GT but I have a few ?s

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Default Considering picking up a MS3 GT but I have a few ?s

Im a domestic guy at heart but I want to pick up a gas miser for some road trips where Im not towing anything but I dont want to get a boring car either. It seems the MS3 is the ticket since I need 4 doors and I want something that can get out of its own way. Ive done some searching on here but its kind of hard to sift through all the regular 3 info to find the MS3 info. What is the typical mileage seen on the highway running 70-75mph? Any gripes besides squeeky brakes, the valve on the gas tank and a notchy transmission? What mods are available for it that will give me more power and better mileage? Im not looking for anything crazy just anything I can do to add a few ponies and not adversely affect anything else. Anything to look for when buying one used besides the normal used car things?

Old 05-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Considering picking up a MS3 GT but I have a few ?s

Sounds like you have some pretty std questions.
Mileage: Hmmm. Not sure I can really answer that since I own an NA 3, but I heard figures from about 25 up to 29.
Gripes: I would include engine mounts in there. Dispite Mazdas recall of the early '07 MS3's, the mounts are a weak point, even in the NA 3's.
Also, the paint is rather dissappointing. It chips easily. If you have access to a bodyshop adding some clear is a good idea, or barring that, an invisible bra/paint portection is a must, IMO.
Mods: All the std bol-ons and more on the way, but don't expect any of them to really help w/mileage. They may, or may not, but w/all I've done to mine, the mileage has remained fairly consistant. All will cost you fairly big $$$. i.e. a good streetable CAI and exhaust will set you back upwards of the the $1000 range. Mods parts for the MScost more than the Mz.
Buying Used: By nature an MS driver is liable to be harder on the car than the average grocery-getter.
I would: 1) check to see that both recalls were done; 2) that the service history is good and well documented; 3) feel the clutch. If you race, this should be a given anyway; 4) feel the trans; 6) feel the brakes; 7) look for evidence of mods that had been removed for resale/trade; 8) look for previous bodywork and overspray.
Remember the old saying, "if it sounds (or looks) to good to be true, it probably is."

Alsothe MS needs 91 oct and gets worse mileage. The Mz runs on 87.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:13 AM

My buddy has gotten 26 MPG on a long trip to Virginia and is pretty PO'ed that my N/Ais getting so much more (over 30 on the last fill up) but it is still better than the Speed 6 with its 24 MPG

Old 05-25-2008, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Well, along w/the additional power comes additional weight too (+500+lbs!!) Any racer (I'm not one of them) knows that weight is the enemy.

BUT, you also get the 6-sp, not offered in the Mz3's. And the LSD, also not offered in the NA 3.A retuned stock suspension and 18's.
I'd love an LSD, but $1600 for the unit alone, and w/only one being offered (no choices, and I forget who offers it now,)is just way too much for my wallet.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:41 AM

What are the two recalls? How can mods add 500+ pounds when you already have a turbo, I can't think of anything or combo of parts that would add that much. Cost of parts isn't that big a deal I just want the best that im not going to have a problem with, hell the exhaust on my diesel was right at 2 grand and I haven't even gotten my tubular headers and hiflow up pipes yet. What are the typical gains from the normal bolt ons and what are they? I asume there is the normal, intake, exhaust, under drive pulley, does someone do tuning for these? Better yet do they have a do it yourself software, I've got a decent amount of experience with EFILive tuning my diesel and my Z71. Basically id want to do everything I can to it without really hurting long term longevity. Any particular website that you all recommend to buy parts from so I can do some snooping around? Sorry for all the questions but I just want to make sure I make the right choice and know what im gwtting myself into. Thanks

Old 05-25-2008, 12:04 PM

ORIGINAL: 1slow01Z71

What are the two recalls? How can mods add 500+ pounds when you already have a turbo, I can't think of anything or combo of parts that would add that much. Cost of parts isn't that big a deal I just want the best that im not going to have a problem with, hell the exhaust on my diesel was right at 2 grand and I haven't even gotten my tubular headers and hiflow up pipes yet. What are the typical gains from the normal bolt ons and what are they? I asume there is the normal, intake, exhaust, under drive pulley, does someone do tuning for these? Better yet do they have a do it yourself software, I've got a decent amount of experience with EFILive tuning my diesel and my Z71. Basically id want to do everything I can to it without really hurting long term longevity. Any particular website that you all recommend to buy parts from so I can do some snooping around? Sorry for all the questions but I just want to make sure I make the right choice and know what im gwtting myself into. Thanks
they were comparing the weight between the speed 3 and the speed 6.. speed 6 is heavier due to the AWD system.. the extra 12hp doesnt do much to compensate for the weight.. i kno of the one recall: the rear engine mount.. rich, wats the second recall?.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Actually, I was comparing the NA3 (2843lbs) to the Speed3 (33??lbs.)

Old 05-25-2008, 12:14 PM

lol oops.. my badd.. the motor is totally different, but even that shouldnt account for such a weight difference.. mayb the chassis? tranny? the better bolstering seats?........

also richard, to correct you from ur previous post, the MS3 takes 93 octane..

Old 05-25-2008, 12:56 PM

the MS3 weighs 3153#s so its almost exactly 300#s difference and according to mazdas website it takes 91 minimum which doesn't matter to me since they only sell 93 around here

Old 05-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

You sure about that? I thought the minimum oct for theDISI enginewas 91.
Would you check your manual for us to be sure?
And where's that picture and mods list you promised?

Quick Reply: Considering picking up a MS3 GT but I have a few ?s