Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.
View Poll Results: A poll
Black
77.78%
Red
22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Which color caliper paint for my silver 3...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Which color caliper paint for my silver 3...

[font=californainfb] So would yellow, and it's much more unique than the red. But it doesn't work well w/every color and is certainly not for everybody. And the blue on mine stands out well too.
At the last local meet I was too in Feb, a metallic blue MSP showed up w/yellow calipers and white wheels. A number of us (about 20 cars showed up and around 25 ppl) thought it looked hawt! I know you wouldn't think so to envision it in your head, @ least I wouldn't have, but it worked well on the car. Kinda' Rally car style. Most of us said that we liked the look.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:26 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: MazdaN00b

what color would look good with the 07 phantom purple paint jobber?
Your choices are more limited. Red and blue would almost certainly clash w/the body paint.
Black, silver, gold or white are the only choices I can envision that might work well w/that color... unless you go w/body colored calipers. But where would you get a high-temp paint in that color?

I wonder if there's an additive out there to help add heat resistance to normal laquer or enamel? Afterall, there are all kinds of additives for automotive paints.
Any body (shop) ppl onboard that could answer that question?

Old 06-02-2007, 02:24 PM

That blue looks nice virgin1...

I voted black becauseI know eventually this stuff chips/peels and the black blends in better.

Havinga chip on a bright red or blue caliper is like walking into a party with a giant booger on your face.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

[font=californainfb]ThanksSS. It's a std Dupli-Color caliper paint... about6-7 (8?) coats over several months.
As I said though, it doesn't seem to chip nearly as easily as it did @ 1st. The more coats and heat (driving,) themore resistantit seems to get.
I will admit now that I had originally bought a red kit from good ole' Wal-Mart, the only color they stock, but just couldn't bring myself to use it. So, I returned it a few days later and went to the parts store where they hadseveral other choices, including this blue. It doesn't look like much paint but after all those coats, and coatingthe rotor hats several times too,I still have enough left for more touch ups, if necessary.That stuffgoes further than you'd think!

Old 06-07-2007, 01:31 PM

i went ahead and painted them black with the g2 paint...got it for 37 dollars shipped off of ebay - its got a lifetime gaurantee of not chipping or fading - if it does, all you have to do is send a proof of purchase and they send you a brand new kit.the black looks nice, very subtle, doesnt scream for attention like yellow or blue- but I think its a nice touch. took me about 2 hours do do all the calipers.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

So... Where are the pics??

Old 06-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

"Screaming?" I wouldn't say my calipers scream @ ppl. ~~~~~~

Old 06-07-2007, 02:18 PM

Heres a noobie question for all....are you taking the whole caliper off the rotor to paint, or just using brushes "around" where you can reach? I love the look, I just dont want to end up looking like a tool with a half-a$$ed caliper on my suuuwwwweeeetttt speed3.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: dannewitzm

Here's a newbie question for all....are you taking the whole caliper off the rotor to paint, or just using brushes "around" where you can reach? I love the look, I just don't want to end up looking like a tool with a half-a$$ed caliper on my suuuwwwweeeetttt speed3.
It can be done both ways.
Speaking for me, Iremoved the front calipers, and finding the rears to be too much trouble, I left them on to paint them. Since the first time, 2 coats, I've left all of them on for all additional coats/touch-ups.
Hope this answers your question/helps!?

Old 06-07-2007, 05:04 PM

lol i didnt mean screaming in a bad way, im just saying, a bright color really pulls your eye ( i like the way you did your calipers btw, very nice ) and the black just kind of is there until you notice it.

the g2 kit i got off ebay ( http://search.ebay.com/search/search...&category0= ) is a brush on...removal of the caliper is not required.

They tell you not to put the wheels on the car for 2 hours...I couldnt get jackstands under my rear-end, so getting all 4 wheels off the ground was going to be impossible (my jack is too tiny)so what I did was just one side of the car at a time....after the 2nd gloss coat was applied to each caliper...i waited a few minutes and i caaarefully slid the wheel back onto the studs....tightened everything and did it all overagain on the other side. workedfine for me. They also give you PLENTY of paint...i had half a can left over.

Name:  dfd-1.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  49.0 KB

Name:  333.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  44.8 KB

the kind of theme im going for issilver with black features....and yes, I love stock height...

Name:  dfdf.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  49.9 KB

the car is dirty. forgive me = P

Quick Reply: Which color caliper paint for my silver 3...