Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

chipped windshield

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Default chipped windshield

so last week im driving on the highway and a rock jumps up and chips my windshield. .. under the advice from a coworker i immediately take my car to apple autoglass and get the chip repaired...i paid 77 bucks with tax....i leave apple autoglass and drive home on the highway..this is where things go wrong...in a 2 minute period on the highway i get 3 more chips in my windshield from rocks....what the hell? is the mazda windshield super sensitive to chips? i asked the guy at apple how much it would be to replace the windshield he said $580.....what should i do should i go back and get the new chips repaired or what?

Old 04-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Default RE: chipped windshield

unfortunately, i think the more that you drive on the highway, the higher the risk for you to chip your windshield is. i mean, unless you have some kind of bulletproof glass - a rock sailing through the air as your doing 80 mph straight into it will do some serious damage.

The bad thing about chips is that if theyre deep enough, they'll turn into cracks as the weather fluctuates and you'd obviously have to replace your windshield at that point. If it were me - I'd probably stop repairing the chips at this point, maybe only the serious ones, and wait and see how long your windshield lasts.

When i replaced my orginal mazda windshield, i had a guy come to my house and install the new one - all i had to pay was the $200.00 deductable since i had my insurance pick it up.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:36 PM

I think it's pretty much a game of chance when it comes to windshields. I've known people who have driven cars to the ground and have never had more than a small chip on their windshield, whereas there are others who have had repeated bad luck with them. Unless the chip on the glass develops into a crack or is not adistraction for you, I'd just ignore it. At the slightest hint of the damage spreading though,get it filled/sealed immediately. If you took on comprehensive coverage on your auto insurance, the cost of windshield replacement should be covered with only having to pay your deductible.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:00 PM

My windshield got chipped (BIG chip, with instant cracking) less than 2 months into mybuying my M3. I was disappointed that mine chipped seemingly easily.

IMPORTANT ... check out your windshield wipers, make sure there are not littleshards or granulesof glass on them. If there are, andyou leave themthere,when you turn your wipers on, you'll scratch your windshield horribly.

I bought a DIY chip repair kit, it held for a time, but now the crack has grown. I'm accepting that a new windshield is in my future, as the crack continue to growand/or more chips occur. $580 sounds steep, I got a quote of under $400 by calling around.

We're at a bad time of year, plenty of gravel around from the winter not yet cleaned up by the road crews. Don't hang behind big trucks ...

Old 04-15-2008, 09:07 AM

I second most of the above. I don't even have tags for my car and already had one chip repaired. I bought windshield insurance when I bought the car though. I have a feeling it will pay for itself within a couple years. They said the repair was $80 and they would normally do two chips for that. No idea what a new windshield would cost though.