Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

changing drivers side headlight on 2007 Mazda 3

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 06:04 PM
Default changing drivers side headlight on 2007 Mazda 3

Can anyone tell me how to change the drivers side headlight (low beam) on my 07 mazda 3? never done this before....

Old 11-30-2011, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

First off it's a bit of a PITA as there's not very much space behind the headlight. That and Satan's retention clip.... we'll get to that.

-open hood
-remove battery box cover (clip on either side)
-remove battery air duct ... probably a couple of plastic anchors holding that in

Now you have access to the back of the headlight

-pull to remove the wiring plug from the back of the light
-pull rubber dust boot off the back of the light housing
-release retention clip.... push in and up (IIRC) and clip will hinge open. Note how the clip 'legs' seat on the back of the lamp for when you put the new one back in.
-remove the black adapter on the back of the lamp you just removed, replace it on the new lamp

Now on to the fun part
-make sure to never touch the glass on the new lamp. If you did (or even think you did) wipe it off with alcohol before installing it.
-reinsert the new lamp/adapter into the housing and get the retention clip legs in the appropriate places.
-You'll soon discover what I mean but reclipping the clip is the worst part of the process and you'll understand why I call it satan's retention clip as it's a huge PITA to get reclipped
-once you manage that replace the dust boot and plug the harness back in. Replace any plastic things you removed to get to the headlight.

If for some reason you just don't have enough room you can remove the front bumper cover and the entire headlight housing from the car. Yes it's more work, however it's easily done in or around 10 minutes. With the headlight off the car you'd have plenty of space to get everything installed and the clip won't be annoying since you can see what you need it to do.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by icspots
Satan's retention clip....

I've never read a more appropriate name for that damn clip... I must remember that.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:52 AM

Hahah from what I have heard, I agree that the naming of the clip is completely accurate

Thank you so much for all of your help and guidance - hopefully I can get this replaced while only shouting off a few obscenities at that clip

Old 12-05-2011, 06:54 PM

I agree, that clip is horrible. Getting it off is pretty easy, but putting it back took some trial and error. Didn't take very long, but was tough when you can't see what you are doing at all.

I tried to get my son with his small hands to do it, but he is only 6 weeks old and didn't understand what I was saying. Next time...