Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Cars pulls to the left CONSTANTLY!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 10:41 PM
Default Cars pulls to the left CONSTANTLY!

We have a 2008 mazda 3 and it pulls to the left horribly.We have had it in the dealership 5 times.They have rotated the tires,realligned it and every time we get it back it does the same thing.The last time it was realligned,the service ticket noted on the bottom that it still pulls to the left.Now,the tire pressure light is coming on 3 times a week.The mechanics keep telling us that it is "the Missoula roads" which is the worst answer I have ever gotten from a mechanic.Just yesterday,my girlfriend was driving and made a right turn and the car pulled so hard that she hit a parked car,she could not get it to correct back to the right.Is there antone out there that has seen this issue?One person suggested that the sway bar may be bad.I would like to resolve this problem because,all in all,it is a good car,but I will not drive it if it is a safety hazard.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:31 AM

Your problem is not technical any more.
It sounds like your dealership is a munchkin or two short of a dozen. Since you've now had an accident attributable to this problem (and subsequent to his interventions), you have potentially a lot of leverage in law. Don't mess around with something this serious. It might even be prudent to keep the car off the road, since it appears unsafe and not knowing the cause, it could deteriorate dramatically.
Get a legal opinion asap and suggest sending him a registered legal letter enjoining him to "do the bloody job he's paid for". Find out who is the Mazda corporate entity one notch up on the totem pole and copy them too. Don't be hesitant about pointing out that the defect could have resulted in injury or death either.
Your car might not go where you want it to, but on the evidence, you're certainly in the driver's seat.
My guess you'll get the attention of every Mazda resource within a 500 mile radius and perhaps even a courtesy car.
Be sure you have the complete paper trail and keep meticulous records. My bet is you will not have this trouble for much longer.
Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, but I do know when invoking the law is appropriate.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:04 PM

Fortunately,the accident happened 2 blocks from our body shop,so we drove it straight there,it was driveable but barely.We asked them to inspect our initial problem to see if it had any effect on the accident.Now the dealer is sending their head mechanic to the body shop to look at it with them.Amazingly,the dealer did give us a loaner car for the duration.I am agreement with you,we should take legal action but I figured we would wait until the body shop gets a good look at it.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:10 PM

OK, but not the best of solutions. A the dealer now has a third party i.e. the body shop, to implicate in the saga. As for his "head mechanic", why wasn't he involved in your dilemma before the accident ? Is he any good ? Would you trust your life to a head mechanic who did nothing about your predicament before these events ?
Quite candidly, I think you are being much too tolerant of the shameful treatment you received from your dealer, who, were I in your place, I would not even let check my tire pressures.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:42 PM

You might want to check into "the lemon laws" in your state.
Here in California, if you have a vehicle that has not been repaired correctly over a time period of five visits to the mechanic, and you can document this fact, the dealership has to provide you with a replacement vehicle.
Check your states lemon law.
Bob.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:56 PM

Here is the Montana lemon law: http://autopedia.com/html/LemonLaw/MT_lemonlaw2.html

It certainly sounds like you have a case for replacement. However, a couple of questions immediately come to mind. Did you buy this car from the dealer? Has the suspension been 'lowered', or modified in any way?

Old 03-29-2009, 08:29 PM

It was purchased from the dealer and no modifications were made,and my girlfriend drives like an old lady.We bought it in July and it only has 4100 miles.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:51 PM

Then you should demand a replacement. The Montana law is clear.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:04 AM

Not so fast! First, the law may seem clear, but if it were that simple, more lawyers would be starving. Second, if your present car, on inspection by a competent third party, was found to be basically sound apart from this debacle, then it might be a case of "better the devil you know than the devil you don't", and sticking with it may still be your best option. Getting a replacement from this dealer seems a risky proposition to me unless you take extraordinary precautions to ensure that the replacement doesn't contain some of the "craftsmanship" which caused you such misery in the first place.
This is why I proposed in my first post that going up the Mazda heirarchy was prudent; then if you opt for replacement through them, Mazda is on the hook. As things stand, the dealer and his agents have no reason to fear that they're at risk of losing their accredited dealership standing, so they still might deal you a "business as usual" substitute. Be afraid, be very, very afraid. Oh yeah, and watch out for that loaner he gave you too.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:08 AM

If you bought the car new from the dealer and it only has 4100 miles on it, then the only acceptable replacement would be a new vehicle. The only thing not clear about the Montana law is the option for arbitration. I wouldn't fear going that route if you really had the car serviced more than four times by the dealer without resolving the problem. It is still good advice to go over the dealer's head with this issue. Much as I hate to say it, you should discuss this with a competent attorney before you do anything else.

Quick Reply: Cars pulls to the left CONSTANTLY!