Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Car wont START!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Default Car wont START!!!!

Hey guys just wondering if anyone else has had this problem!! Anyways its freeking cold here in Edmonton the last 2 nights! like seriously -40 degrees C and colder!! My car wont start at all...it does nothing! I do have a car started so I took it out of service and my car still does nothing! It wont turn over but my lights and radio and everything else work fine! let me know guys thx

Old 01-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Car wont START!!!!

Hmmm.... Read (print) this and see if it helps: http://www.finishlineperformance.com...18-07-1780.pdf

Oh, and may I suggest that to test my theory you find the relay and remove it, take it into the house to warm, then reinstall.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:31 PM

ORIGINAL: JCraig

Hey guys just wondering if anyone else has had this problem!! Anyways its freeking cold here in Edmonton the last 2 nights! like seriously -40 degrees C and colder!! My car wont start at all...it does nothing! I do have a car started so I took it out of service and my car still does nothing! It wont turn over but my lights and radio and everything else work fine! let me know guys thx
Possibly when the battery gets that cold, there isn't enough power to crank the starter, but enough to power the lights, radio, etc.??

Old 02-02-2008, 06:51 AM

more power going to the engine then to the electricals (I.E. radio, lights guages etc) and because poor you living in edmonton (i live in ontario i feel your pain) the car doesnt start. but you may want to invest in one of those battery charging things. you can find them at crappy tire for like maybe $100 or something like that.. they work great. at work i have a tractor that wont ever start cuz its too cold. but put the charger on it and bam there it goes! hope that helps you

Old 06-29-2008, 04:06 PM

It's 90+ here in Virginia Beach/Hampton. My Mazda3 just won't start for no reason. I push start it... drop it off at at the dealership. It sits there overnight. They can't find anything wrong as it starts right up the next morning. 1 month later, I'm in one of the worst parts of town picking up a pizza. As I leave with my hot pizza guess what? The car won't start! All the gauges work... power is great... it just, won't, start.

Please help. Have to go to work in the am.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

You may have a bad starter, but also you may just have a bad starter relay.
Try this: Open the hood and on the LS of the car (RS as you are facing it) there is a fuse block w/a cover over it. Take the cover off, flip it over and look for the starter relay on the diagram. It should be one of the two in the front. Pull the relay straight up to remove it, clean any dirt, grim or moisture from the terminal in both, then reinstall it.
It may work, or it may not. Just a thought.
Also, is your car a manual transmission car? Are you depressing the clutch pedal fully?

Old 06-29-2008, 05:57 PM

After the dealership went over the "system" the first time this happened last month, they suggested that there was nothing wrong!

It's a manual and the clutch is definitely depressed... almost through the floorboard out of frustration. No noticable starter "noise" which makes me think the relay. I've pulled the fuses and reinserted... still nothing. I've read a few "anomalies" where folks are describing the same exact problem but no solutions.

Will push start it into the shop tomorrow morning and see what kind of solution these guys come up with. I'll let you know...

Old 06-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

I still say that if it happens to you tomorrow morning, pull the relay and reinsert it. See if that temporarily fixes the problem. It's worth a try, isn't it?

Old 06-29-2008, 08:47 PM

I agree with Virgin about the cold weather start problem, very good post about the relay fuse. As far as Gisboy it sounds like the starter. It could be a loose wire at the starter not grounding right. Electrical problems are difficult to figure out and usually take some time. what year is your car?

Old 07-01-2008, 04:27 PM

So of course, after a day and a half (Saturday night thru Monday morning) of not starting, the Mazda3 starts right up like there never was a problem.

Didn't have to bother with pulling/reinserting the relay. I'm positive this will happen again!

It's a 2006 by the way...

Another related question... the first time I tried to "pull" the relay. I've never taken one out before. I gave up on trying to pull it out because I was pulling so hard I thought I may end up 'breaking' it. Is there a secret to removing one of these things? It doesn't appear to be as easy as pulling a fuse.

Quick Reply: Car wont START!!!!