Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Car totaled - now what???

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 11:39 PM
PAC
Default Car totaled - now what???

My 2007 3i didn't have a single scratch w/40K miles - and now this (the front is nicely smashed also). I loved my car.

I'm looking at 2010 3S Hatch or the 2011 Mazda 3 touring sedan. Any recommendations?
Thanks, PAC

Attached Thumbnails Car totaled - now what???-mazda-3i.jpg  
Old 09-17-2010, 01:05 AM

That was most unfortunate. I just got rid of my 99 Protege for a 2010 3i touring about 2 months ago. Now when you says 2011 3 touring sedan is that S or i? I got 3i sedan simply because I wanted the more fuel efficient one plus I like sedan more than Hatch. Is all based on your personal taste, I won't say Hatch or sedan is better.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:33 AM
Super Moderator

OUCH!!! Is everyone all right?
What happened and when/where?

I agree. The new car, like the old one, should be what YOU want, like and need.
As a people hauler, there is no difference between the two, except perhaps (and I'm not completely sure about this) rear headroom may be a bit more compromised in the sedan.
As far as cargo is concerned, the hatch is a little taller, but the sedan is just a bit longer.
I prefer the hatch to the sedan, but then there are times an actual trunk would be nice too. And I absolutely hate it when people call my car a station wagon. It is not a Country Squire or Vista Cruiser from the '60's-'70's.
When shopping for mine I wasn't completely committed to the HB. I noticed the fairly high and narrow opening in the trunk area of the sedan which for me was a turn-off.

Of course the HB is a little more expensive too, so budget is a consideration.
And there's the engine choices. If the 2.0 is enough and you like the sedan, I'd say go for it. But also keep in mind that the base offers smaller brakes and usually smaller wheels as well as fewer amenities overall.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:28 AM
PAC

Thanks for the replies.
I was stoppped in traffic and got rear ended by a 1980's 3/4 ton PU going about 40 mph. Caused a chain reaction to 3 other cars in front of me. I got hauled off in an ambulance - but just some bruising that is almost gone today - 2 weeks later. I feel very blessed and lucky!
It looks like the dealers are making some good deals on the 2010 Hatch - coming close to the 2011 I Touring, probably in an efort to clear them off the lot. Its been awhile since I've been on the forum - just wondering if anyone has seen any issues with the 2.5 liter, or any undesireable changes in the i touring sedan.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by PAC
Thanks for the replies.
I was stoppped in traffic and got rear ended by a 1980's 3/4 ton PU going about 40 mph. Caused a chain reaction to 3 other cars in front of me. I got hauled off in an ambulance - but just some bruising that is almost gone today - 2 weeks later. I feel very blessed and lucky!
It looks like the dealers are making some good deals on the 2010 Hatch - coming close to the 2011 I Touring, probably in an efort to clear them off the lot. Its been awhile since I've been on the forum - just wondering if anyone has seen any issues with the 2.5 liter, or any undesireable changes in the i touring sedan.
I've noticed that the new generation of the i Touring does not have a leather covered steering wheel (or shift **** for that matter); it's a little thing that drives me bonkers, I absolutely hate hanging on to a urethane steering wheel.

In addition to the above, the new i models are no longer available with 17" wheels, and they are still saddled with the lame instrument lighting compared to the s models.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
I've noticed that the new generation of the i Touring does not have a leather covered steering wheel (or shift **** for that matter); it's a little thing that drives me bonkers, I absolutely hate hanging on to a urethane steering wheel.

In addition to the above, the new i models are no longer available with 17" wheels, and they are still saddled with the lame instrument lighting compared to the s models.
I agree with shipo, especially the stupid instrument lightning for the i model. That electroluminescent gage lighting should be at least an available option on all model, why S model only? Heck Honda Civic has it standard on all models.

Although my final decision was getting the i touring simply because the gas mileage of S model was big turn off for me. To simply put it, my other car - the 07 Acura TL with 3.2 V6 can get me 30 mpg on freeway (sometimes even higher if I drive speed limit), yes I am not kidding seriously. Why the hell a 4-cylinder 2.5 liter can only get me 29 mpg freeway? Tell me that is not a turn off. There are things/features/tech that I really wish they offer on i model with 2.0 liter engine. One thing I really don't like about Mazda the way they offer features on their car, you pretty much have to go to the bigger engine model for all the extra nice stuff.

With that said, I still like the way a Mazda3 drive feels like too much to stop me from buying one. Or else I would of bought something else.

Last edited by petroxg; 09-18-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:22 PM
PAC

Well, went ahead and got this S 5-door Sport. Black out and in w/the option that includes moonroof, 6 CD & Bose 10 speaker. Ebony and Ivory - eh virgin1?

Shipo/Petroxg: When I bought the 3 i touring four years ago, I felt the same way about gas mileage. options, etc. I would love to have my 3 i-touring back - but it is what it is. I don't know - I must have gotten a wild hair and decided a on a change up.

Attached Thumbnails Car totaled - now what???-124_2419.jpg  
Old 09-20-2010, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by PAC
Well, went ahead and got this S 5-door Sport. Black out and in w/the option that includes moonroof, 6 CD & Bose 10 speaker. Ebony and Ivory - eh virgin1?

Shipo/Petroxg: When I bought the 3 i touring four years ago, I felt the same way about gas mileage. options, etc. I would love to have my 3 i-touring back - but it is what it is. I don't know - I must have gotten a wild hair and decided a on a change up.
Congrats on the new ride.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

I echo shipo's sentiments. Congrats to you!! I'm sure you will be happy w/your choice.

As far as the ebony/ivory thing is concerned, well.... I do like my white car, but would have preferred a little more color... Ve;locity Red Mica was a choice. But would it surprise you to know that I was actually looking for a yellow one when I bought V1?
I had read that the Mazda, especially the 3's A/C, was a little weak, and when temps reach the 100+ mark 'round here that I would be happier w/a highly reflective color, so white made sense.
I owned a black Volvo 1800S many years ago (yes, the car Roger Moore drove as The Saint) when I lived in Pennsylvania. It also had red LEATHER interior and was the most weather related impractical car that I had ever owned. Cold as an iceberg in the winter and hot as h*ll in the summer. I said to myself then, never again.
Black is also the hardest color to spray and keep clean. The bodywork has to be perfect and black shows EVERY imperfection.
White is one of the easiest, next to silver. I know you wouldn't think so, but it really hides most general road dirt quite well.

Anyway, I know many many people that love black cars and are not necessarily that crazy about white/silver ones, and if that's what you want Congrats and enjoy as long as it lasts!! I mean that sincerely.
Keep us informed as to how its going.

Last edited by virgin1; 09-23-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by PAC

Congratz on your new ride! A change up is always nice. Nice black. Well I don't know how well you like to keep your car clean, but be prepare to wash you ride every 2 weeks. At least that was me when I got my black TL back in 07. And I went the complete opposite by impulse and got a white 3 two months ago. The truth is, you can't win either way. Both color get dirty easy. Black shows water spots and dust (even small little scratch too) easily. So after a rain, I am always pissed off how dirty the car looks. White although do not show water spots, but all those dirty black stuff from road/smog shows like crazy too. Haha..oh well.

Quick Reply: Car totaled - now what???