Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

CAI on Ebay for $39.99 are they any good

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Default CAI on Ebay for $39.99 are they any good

I've seen really cheap CAI on Ebay for around $40.00 bucks, I know the filter has to be junk but how about the piping is it any good. Does it work on the 3 non turbo cars with any problems. If you have tried it and it sucked let me either way.

BUT IT'S OWNLY FOURTY BUCKS YOU KNOW.............

Old 01-29-2009, 07:21 PM

Generally speaking, montana, any intake you buy from fleabay is absolute garbage. That only applies to intakes that aren't name brand, Like Fujita, AEM, Injen and so on....The piping on the intakes I mentioned are specifically designed for our cars, with tons and tons of dyno testing and research and development. Ebay piping - If the bend lets it fit, than its good enough to sell....Hope that helps!

Old 01-30-2009, 02:27 PM

Should you decided to invest in a CAI. You may want to get one that has a bypass valve, so that you don't suck up any water and hydrolock your motor should you go through a deep puddle. My brother in law bought a CAI on ebay without a bypass valve (against my concerns to him on getting water sucked in) and ended up hydrolocking his motor.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Thumbs up Thanks guys

Well I do agree about the Ebay CAi'S, I just thought I'd ask. Are the mazda speed CAI's equipped with the bypass to stop H2O from getting sucked up??? The ad plus discription don't say anything about that.... Thanks for the imfo..

Old 01-30-2009, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Sadly, no. But I have heard that AEM sells one that can be adapted for it. And since AEM makes the MS it should basically be the same unit.
If it is a true concern for your area, get an SRI instead. The downside is that SRI's are generally better at top end power, while the longer tubed CAI's are better for mid range torque/power.
Frankly though, there is some question in my mind as to whether or not an intake is worth it.
I do have the MS. I don't experience much/any difference. Some say yes, others like me say no, but if you are going to do it, stick with a reputable company, i.e.: Injen; K&N; AEM; Mazdaspeed; Fujita.
The eBay garbage has lousy, cheap rubber connector hoses that will split and crack away in no time. Plus the welds usually look pretty amateurish.