Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

CAI cant remember brand name?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Default CAI cant remember brand name?

I had book marked a cold air intake and now its gone.

this was a very short CAI and the filter is covered with a alum. sleeve. web site says it increase as much a 10hp a 5500 rpm
and there is no chance of sucking rain water into it, which i liked
also stated there was little to no intake noise..

anyone know what the site is and if its any good?
its not any to the standards k&n, injen, AEM, etc... it may start with pro???

Old 01-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Default RE: CAI cant remember brand name?

If it was short it is called a Short Ram Intake not a CAI. and no short ram will add 10hp, no CAI will add 10hp for that matter.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:21 PM

thats cool, but I still want to find the site again.
this thing was not cheap. around $280

Old 01-17-2007, 06:39 PM

http://www.srmotorsports.com/Mazda3_...ake_Parts.html

Darryl

Old 01-18-2007, 11:10 AM

thanks

that the one.... think its any good?

Old 01-18-2007, 02:20 PM

You asked for our opinions, so here it is. Nope. Don't buy it. First the company is'nt huge so you don't have the comfort of buying from someone who's product is back by tons of money intensive testing. But that as always, is just comfort. The fact that they use the word 'pressurized' is missleading and the fact that they'd use the term is a bit shadey. You can't really tell where the air is drawn from. They say 'sealed', well wtf it cannot be sealed, needI explain that one? It's called Ram-Air Cold Air intake. Way to mesh two terms to amke it sound cool! Ram air is just what it says vehicle movement rams the air into the intake manifold, where a cold air intake sucks it from the coldest (if it's good) area in the engine compartment. It all just sounds way to odd. To Draconis sure a CAI can add that much, mainly talking on a turbocharged vehicle where they are much more suceptable to intake temps and availiblity of air. But in this case on a normally aspirated 3, with the oddness of the part's operations and the convienience of an even 10hp gain, I mean come on. Do you really wanna buy from someone like this when you can get a K&N which these guys happen to source they're filters from, an AEM or something else that's time tested and proven??? Besides you can get one of these other well known brands for what SR Motosports wants at the sale price or less. Sale to a surely inflated reg. price. I got my K&N Typhoon back in 2005 at my local shop. Part + Install i walked out at $250.00, and that was a good deal. I'll be doing it myself on my new Speed3 if anyone would get off they're butts and ship something for it!! And think of what you can save by doing the install your self. All in all i hate to smack down an up and comming company but as it stands before me today on my humble computer screen, it's not worth the shot.

As always, fire back or clap i'm up for some chit chat.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:37 PM

What I like about the intake is that it attaches to the stock resonator via the short 1-1/2" hose. I guess they can call it a "ram air" because it retains the resonator which draws cold air directly into the heat shield.

I also like the fact that the filter isn't way down, so water ingestion is eliminated. I also like the fact that you don't have to remove the front end of the car just to clean the filter.

I don't like the price, even though they lowered it to $380. If they lower it to $250 I'll buy it.

Darryl

Old 01-18-2007, 10:26 PM

I can't vouche for the Mazda3 four or five door. But it's predicessor, my protege5, had under aero parts that never let water in. I had the K&N and had no probs. Plus with the dry charger that comes with the K&N you don't have to worry with the cleanliness of it too often. I had had it on for about yea i guess and one day when i had the rims off too clean them I got adventurous and found it increbly easy to remove about 10 screws holding the wheel well plastic up. Easy access and after that time it was super clean. I was surprised after a year of use and around here the air sucks. farms, dirty roads, industrial we got it all. That was just my two cents, and from my experience the traditional CAI works quite well. As well as being able to speak for the Protege5, i also can tell you that looking at the front under armor of my Speed3 it'as gonna be a sinch and quite well kept. Just trying to help out a bit. Peace.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:09 AM

I also find it difficult to believe, it will add 10 hp to a normally aspirated 4 banger.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:43 PM

Ya, I dont know.... I think I agree with D Bone. If the price was right I might try it. But I had forgotten that its almost $400 bucks..

MikeMS3 is prob right..sound to good to be true, there seems to be a lot of play on wordage there..

Well I'm broke right now anyway, So intake will have to wait

thanks for the appiinions