Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

a/c blowing warm air

Old 05-24-2011, 10:44 PM
Default a/c blowing warm air

So as some of you know, I was involved in a $2,000+ fender bender recently. Since then, my air conditioning hasn't been able to blow cold air. I took it into a garage for a preliminary inspection - and they said the clutch/compressor isn't working or engaging when they turn the ac on/off. They said I would need a new compressor, which runs ~$6-700. With labor it would be around $1000. This is the only place nearby that deals with auto a/c and I was wondering if there are any cheaper alternatives? Has anyone else run into this problem?

Old 05-25-2011, 11:30 AM

well first off id ask them to do a test to see if you have a leak, if you dont have enough refrigerant your compressor will not turn on. If they find that there is no leak and the compressor will still wont turn on then you either have an electrical issue or its bad. The price that they gave is accurate for parts and labor and actually the cheapest ive seen so far, id just make sure they know 100% that the compressor is bad. the only cheaper alt is finding a junked 3 and replacing the compressor yourself then have a shop recharge your system.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tracker
well first off id ask them to do a test to see if you have a leak, if you dont have enough refrigerant your compressor will not turn on. If they find that there is no leak and the compressor will still wont turn on then you either have an electrical issue or its bad. The price that they gave is accurate for parts and labor and actually the cheapest ive seen so far, id just make sure they know 100% that the compressor is bad. the only cheaper alt is finding a junked 3 and replacing the compressor yourself then have a shop recharge your system.
They didn't test for a leak the typical way (by putting dye in the lines and having me drive around for a couple weeks); instead they pressed some sort of valve under the hood that indicated that the lines were pressurized or something? Meaning there wasn't a leak? I don't know if that has anything to do with a potential leak, I didn't really follow.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:39 AM

the only thing i can think of other than a bad compressor is the ground for the compressor is ripped torn or something electrical, which would involve a schematic diagrams and tracing small wires, ripping apart your harness....yeah you get the pic. your better off having them deal with it and if something goes wrong of it dont work, then you bring it back and have it fixed/looked @ for free.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:18 AM

cabin air filter was replaced when? clogged, dirty filter means little to no cold air....

Old 06-01-2011, 04:03 PM

yeah I'll probably just have them replace the compressor and see if that fixes it.

I haven't replaced any filters in the car since last year (~365 days ago), could the cabin air filter really be the cause of warm air?

Old 06-03-2011, 11:06 AM

warm air? no, reduce amount blowing though, yes

Old 06-05-2011, 11:19 AM

warm air? no, reduce amount blowing though, yes

Hmmm, clogged cabin air filter has a profound effect on the a/c system's ability to make and blow cold air efficiently.......Try not changing your furnace filter or a/c filters at home and see how THAT affects those systems ability to perform......

Old 06-05-2011, 12:48 PM

a clogged air filter is not gonna make it blow warm air, its going to reduce the amount of cool air coming through it. i ve experienced it in my friends 6, i wouldnt know from my car because it didnt come with one.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:25 PM

a clogged air filter is not gonna make it blow warm air, its going to reduce the amount of cool air coming through it. i ve experienced it in my friends 6, i wouldnt know from my car because it didnt come with one.

YOU are incorrect........ask a factory certified master technician......

Put a clogged filter in a window air conditioner - see how cold the air is you get out of it....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: a/c blowing warm air