Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Brand New Member Bought Mazda3 2005

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 01:04 AM
Default Brand New Member Bought Mazda3 2005

Oh I'm so glad I found this forum. I just bought a Mazda3 S Hatchback 05. It only has 91k miles very clean. However, the dealer only gave me only one key.
According to the specs that I read online, this trim includes
Keyless entry, Panic Button, and Ignition disable
I'm wonder if the missing key would activate all of these features????

Also, on the radio panel, there's a button missing. I believe this button would allow to change a track. The dealer told me that it came like that. Otherwise the radio works fine. However, I think it also has some kind of DV adapter or something for MP3. Is that correct?

I'd like to know what else could I be missing?
And my last question, is Mazda among the other cars that are on the AirBag recall?
I really would appreciate to hearing from anybody on any of these important questions.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator

What does you key look like?

Photo of your key & stereo please.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:52 PM

Mazda 6, RX8 and a couple of years for the B series is all that is included in the air bag recall. These are all earlier years, '04-'06 area. You can call the dealer and have them run your V.I.N. to see if there are any open recalls on your vehicle.

There is a separate key FOB that has lock, unlock and panic buttons on it. The ignition disable is part of the key itself. I'm sorry, but a good dealer would have made sure you received 2 keys along with 2 FOB's. Just my thoughts.

The key has the transponder, anti theft, chip in it. That's the costly piece. FOB's can be purchased from Amazon and are simple for the DIY to program. No computer needed.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:44 AM
Default photos of radio and key

Hi

Here are a couple of pix as you asked. By the way, I went to the Mazda dealer yesterday and they told me that the key that the dealer gave me is the Valet key, but it has a chip embedded. They told me that in order to get the keyless key.

But I was under the impression that it would be a key with the transmitter built-in to disarm the alarm and unlocking the car. However, after reading the manual I believe that the Valet key that I have would set up the alarm, except I won't be able to use the Panic Button, nor being able to unlock the car remotely.

I also found out that Mazda does not have a "key" to activate the "keyless features", instead they provide a small transmitter to turn on/off the alarm, and unlock the car remotely. The dealer that sold me the car will be getting me another Valet key.

But here's an addendum to my original question. I have read that there's a device that can override most "keyless locks". If that is the case, would it be safer not get the transmitter and just use the valet key?

Unfortunately, I'm moving to another place w/o parking and I have some concerns parking out in the streets. Should I get a The Club steering wheel lock. Or just rely get the transmitter and use the keyless feature

Attached Thumbnails Brand New Member Bought Mazda3 2005-key.jpg   Brand New Member Bought Mazda3 2005-radio2.jpg   Brand New Member Bought Mazda3 2005-radio1.jpg  
Old 03-12-2016, 04:04 PM

Do you have a black button on the outside drivers door handle? Just trying to clarify which system you have. I think you have a lot of crossed info and I would like to make sure I'm giving you the right information. Yes, your missing a button on the radio. Grim will probably know which one it is before I can check.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:42 PM
Default door

Hi,

Thanks for the help. Here are a couple of pix. Notice the second pix is the sticker that is on the driver's side. I'm not sure if this is legit or just a deterrent.

Please keep in mind that when I went to the Mazda dealer and asked about the key they asked for the VIN#. And according to the Vin# it looked like my car does support "keyless feature".

As a matter of fact, the quoted me $60sh for duplicate Valet and $105 for the
keyless. I found interesting they called it key, but according to the manual its a transmitter with on/off and panic button.

Another thing, I noticed that when I get in the car I see an icon with the sillouete of a car flashing on the dash. Does that mean that the alarm is set. ONce I turn the car it stops flashing. As I they manual says that the Valet key will set the alarm up thru the imbedded chip on the key, but it would not unlock the car remotely, nor activate the panic button.

Attached Thumbnails Brand New Member Bought Mazda3 2005-door.jpg   Brand New Member Bought Mazda3 2005-decal.jpg  
Old 03-12-2016, 09:47 PM

Sparky

I agree with you, but unfortunately this was not a Mazda dealer. In any event, they were blaming the previous owner for not providing the key. I disagree that should be the dealer's responsibility. I had an argument with the salesman that sold me the car.

He keeps saying that there's no keyless, but he will provide me with a second Valet key on Monday. I need to take the car so they can punch the codes.

I still would like to know some opinion about pros/cons using keyless feature. I'm a bit concerned since I am park the car on the street. And its my understanding that "keyless feature" can be overridden with a gadget, thusly thieves have easy access.

I'm thinking buying The Club steerinwheel lock

Old 03-12-2016, 11:24 PM

Alrighty then, based in the information you have provided, let me sort this out for you.

You do not have any type of advanced keyless entry. The missing piece is a FOB which has the buttons on it for Lock, Unlock and Panic. At best, if a thief were to use some type of "code" catcher to obtain your keyless transmitter signal, the only thing they would be able to do is unlock your car, not start it and drive away.

So, unless your frequently transporting uncut diamonds and leaving them on the dash, I would put aside any fear of someone gaining access to your vehicle thru such a device.

The sticker, is not Mazda. You either have an aftermarket alarm system or it's a pile of bull stink and meant to deter a would be thief. Check some of your local suppliers that install alarm systems to see if you have a system installed. If so and you would want to go thru the expense of making it operational, they would be the place to start.

With the technology built into the Mazda, a Club would be a waste of money, in my opinion that is. If you were to lose your key, you would have to tow your car to a dealer where they would have to cut and program 2 new keys in order to get you running again. The vehicle will not accept a programing attempt with only one key available.

Since you don't know where the other key is, my suggestion is this. Have the dealer cut a second key. The dealer has programing option of Adding Additional Key or, which I suggest you do, Erase and Reprogram. The second option will Erase ALL known keys to the car and reprogram only the two you will have. The stray keys, should they show up, will only unlock the car, not start it.

I'm not quite sure why the people you are talking with keep calling your key a Valet key. It's the key. The ignition is literally disabled every time you turn the car off and take the key out.

The red blinking light on the dash is a normal light. It indicates the system that Mazda calls PATS, ( Passive Anti Theft System), is working. That's your deterrent. If you go to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administrations web site, you can search any vehicle for it's theft rate. In 2013, out of all the cars Mazda sold, 100k plus, Nationwide only 196 were reported stolen. I can't help but wonder if the bulk of that wasn't the repo truck. Either way, living in the outskirts of Gary, Indiana, I have never heard of a Mazda being stolen.

I hope this helps set your mind at ease and arms you with a little bit of knowledge in your quest for a second key and a pair of FOB's.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:35 PM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...-L._AA160_.jpg

I'm trying this for the first time. If this link works, it will take you to Amazons web site. The item shown is what your key fob looks like. This particular item is the case only, there are no electronics in it and is designed to replace a broken case only.

Also good info for anyone else with broken key fob cases. You can just purchase a replacement inexpensively, swap out the guts, and your good to go

Old 03-13-2016, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quick Reply: Brand New Member Bought Mazda3 2005