Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Brake bleeding?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Default Brake bleeding?

Hello, i have a 08 Mazda3 and i had just replace my front rotors and pad. yesterday i took the car to a mechanic for bleeding but he only bleed the front but refuse to do the back due to ABS....

Since it a ABS system, there might be a spical tool needed and this mechanic do not have one. Is it possible that he should bleed all four brake again but fill the MC with new fluid and bleed until the new fluid came out.

thanks

Last edited by playkool; 04-04-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:13 PM

If he is worried about the ABS he shouldnt have touched anything with the bleeders on any wheel, the 3 (and almost every modern vehicle) has 4-wheel ABS so why he was paranoid about the rear ABS is a good question to ask. From my experience you should have no problems bleeding the brakes as long you dont let air get into the system (keep MC full) at all you shouldnt have issues with the ABS valve body. Best is bleed the brakes starting with the Right Rear, Left Rear, Right Front and finally Left Front (RR, LR, RF, LF), this bleeds the furthest point first so you wont cross contaminate the new fluid in the system with old fluid in another wheels line. Also after you bleed the brakes hop in the car and while you test them get up to a good speed and really really slam on the brakes to cycle the ABS a few times, this is to purge any air or old fluid out of the ABS body then bleed all 4 wheels again to see if any air or contaminants come out (clear hose works great here). Some cars have a bleeder right on the ABS body that you can bleed just like a wheel cylinder/caliper, some need a fancy scan tool to cycle the ABS, I find just making the ABS do its job (which is cycling the brakes) does the exact same thing for almost free........those black skid marks aren't free :P

Old 04-05-2012, 07:32 AM

Thank you for the good info.