Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Best way to fill license plate holes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 04:01 PM
Default Best way to fill license plate holes?

After removing a license plate (for appearance purposes) on the M3, what is the best method, product, etc to use to fill in the hole(s) and touch up so it looks like nothing was ever there? I have a silver itouring and until my plates arrive I have removed both front and back plates. The back ones will obviously need to stay there but the front ones I'd like to fill in permanently! Thanks.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Default RE: Best way to fill license plate holes?

For now I just put the bolts back in, but I am going to get blackplastic plugs and put in the holes, if I don't like the way that looks I will use touch up paint on them. But my car is darker also.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

May I suggest... pushing in the left over plastic andCAREFULLY filling the holes w/clear, two-part epoxy. Thenusing your touch-up paint, carefully brushing over that.
Kinda' like this!

Name:  IMG_0717W.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  32.8 KB

It's not professional, but can't be detected by a non-professional from 3 ft away!!

Old 01-17-2008, 02:46 PM

Cool, that's along the lines of what I was thinkin. I pushed the flared-out plastic around the holes into the opening, which helped, but it needs to be finished! Hmmmm I never thought about using plastic plugs... maybe that's a good ideacauseI can paint over them but remove them with a screwdriver if an Oregon cop pulls me over for no front plates (illegal here, dunno about other states)

Old 01-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

It's legal to display the front plate in the windshield here in Texas, and so many ppl do. If you look in the pic I included in my above post, you can just barely see it poking out fromover the wiper arm.
I use industrail duty silicon rubber sucction cups attached to the top of the plate so that it won't move, but can still be removed.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:13 PM

I know around Molalla, Colton and WoodburnI got hassled in my Gran Torino, But it was a New Hampshire car and they only had 1 plate.
Here in Tennessee the only vehicle that needs a front plate is a commercially registered truck, and then we don't have a rear plate.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:27 PM

ORIGINAL: virgin1

May I suggest... pushing in the left over plastic andCAREFULLY filling the holes w/clear, two-part epoxy. Thenusing your touch-up paint, carefully brushing over that.
Kinda' like this!
virgin1 what type of epoxy?..Idiots at the dealer put the holes in after they told me they wouldn't.[:@]

Old 01-18-2008, 03:32 PM

Siber, do you live here in Oregon? If so, whereabouts?

I think Oregon law basically states "if you areissued 2 license plates, they have to be front and back...if issued one or given one, it has to be in back". I figure I'll just put my license in my front window and take my chances. I did it with my Civic for years until I started getting bugged all the freakin time. Where I live, cops are bored and pull you over for anything. I miss L.A., you really had to be causing trouble to get pulled over! Around here the cops should be focusing on the horrible meth problem we have, not stupid license plates on the front of nice cars! But their priorities are as straight as the government's

Old 01-18-2008, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Siber lives in Tennessee... and I strongly agree w/your stand on"our" governments priorities.

Oregon must have a DOT website. Search for the site, then search for displaying auto license plates or registration. It may take a while to do the search so be patient.
I finally found the laws surrounding ours, printed the page out and carry it in my glovecompartment just in case I run into a bored cop w/nothing better to do that hassle me.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:24 PM

I lived in Colton, Salem and Mill City on the western side of the Mountains and Metolis on the East side. I was there about 3 years.
My Sister still lives in Boring (Yes Richard it is really the name of a town)
I moved from there about 15 years ago.
BTW, I am originally from LA.

Quick Reply: Best way to fill license plate holes?