Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Auto trans strength?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 11:56 AM
Default Auto trans strength?

As the title says, how strong are the auto trans in the 3's? The reason I ask it because of the auto stick feature of the trans. I've read and have been doing it, that when using the auto stick feature, if you lift the right foot when shifting (like you would do with a manual) the trans shifts alot faster. There's no delay like when you leave the right foot on the gas. Doing this however under hard acceleration creates a noticable thud in the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. So, how durable is the trans?
Jim

Old 07-29-2007, 11:10 PM
Default RE: Auto trans strength?

If you read your 2007 owner's manual, you'll findsomeinteresting notes. When in manual shift mode, the car monitors the temperature of the auto transmission fluid. If the fluid gets too hot (due to running the car at high revs), the car will switch out of manual shift mode to automatic shift mode, so that the revs come down, in order to prevent possible damage. Also, to prevent engine damage, if you rev the engine too high (past redline), the car will cut off delivery of fuel to the engine. These notes are on pages 5-14 and 5-15 of my manual.
Point of above is thatMazda did incorporate some smart features to prevent damage by wrongful use of the shift feature. In the end, they should act to enhance the car's durability.

Consumer Reports in their reviews has never made mention of transmission issues with the M3. Ditto Edmunds. If there was a significant systematic problem of some kind, I wouldthink it would have shown up in their data.

I do have a question for you ... where did you read that taking your foot of the gas a little when shifting makes the shift take place faster? And, is this recommended by Mazda, or just something someone noticed? Would appreciate the opportunity to look at the source of this. Thanks.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:47 PM

i have an auto tranny too and i always drive in manual mode, yes it does make the shifts a little smoother and faster (thats the whole point) and yes i do let off the gas to acheive this result, now ppl with turbo 3 that are still auto have suggested doing this as leaving it in full auto puts to much stress in the tranny. Its all about the timing practice letting off the gas and getting back on it between shifts to elminate the thuds, my friend drove my car like that and hes been drive stick just before and he says it works, so there ya go.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:09 PM

I read it in a thread on here http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.phpbut I can't find the thread now. It does shift faster if you drive it like a manual when using the manu-matic mode of the auto tranny as far as letting off the gas when you shift. I guess I just need to get smoother while doing it. I use the manual mode when in traffic if I want to keep the rpm's up when I'm merging onto the freeway and need a little quicker acceleration. I like the manual mode!
Jim

Old 08-01-2007, 09:08 AM

you should have just bought the stick, the manual transmission on the 3's are a thing of beauty. Mazda is known for thier manual transmissions it seems likea waste to have an automatic....even if it does have manual shift

Old 08-01-2007, 11:21 PM

npoll, I have driven cars with sticks most of my driving life, I just got tired of it. Especially on hills, stop and go driving, exiting or entering a busy parking garage - all the clutching gets to be a pain. The manual shift feature is the cat'smeow IMO - no clutch to bother with in all the aforementioned situations, but you candrive it like a manualwhen your in the mood.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:50 PM

ORIGINAL: UrbanmanUSA

npoll, I have driven cars with sticks most of my driving life, I just got tired of it. Especially on hills, stop and go driving, exiting or entering a busy parking garage - all the clutching gets to be a pain. The manual shift feature is the cat'smeow IMO - no clutch to bother with in all the aforementioned situations, but you candrive it like a manualwhen your in the mood.
Exactly!
Jim