Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Adding Auto-Dim Mirror and Light Kit to 2013 3i

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 01:35 PM
Default Adding Auto-Dim Mirror and Light Kit to 2013 3i

Hi, I just bought a 2013 3i Grand Touring Hatchback. The only thing it didn't come with that interests me is the auto-dimming mirror and the Light kit that illuminates the footwells.

I've seen both on eBay but wonder if it is a straightforward installation? Is the mirror simply swapping it out for the old one or is there a lot of wiring involved? (I mean beyond running a wire to where the headliner and windshield meet--near the overhead console)

Is the Light Kit pretty much plug-and-play?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide!

Old 12-03-2014, 05:06 PM

I have not done the swap but due to the fact that manufacturing one wiring harness to fit every option on a vehicle is by far a cheaper option for the car manufacturer than building 10 different wiring harness's for each option package when your talking about 100k or more wiring harness's. It is a 99% probability of being plug and play if it is a factory option.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Auto dimming mirrors are pretty easy to install, as is the wiring. The only issue with the first generation GT models is the auto-wiper sensor was mounted to the windshield just below the mirror mount. That meant there was a certain mirror you had to use, and a certain installation kit you needed.

Assuming you have a normally mounted mirror with nothing fancy right around it (I'm really unfamiliar with the options and features on the '13 model) you just remove the old mirror (either loosen a screw, or stick a thin bladed flat head screwdriver upwards into the little slot at the base of the mirror mount to depress a clip) and slide the mirror upwards to remove from the mount.

After that you slide the new mirror on and deal with the wiring. What wiring you need to do depends on what mirror you get. If it's a standard auto-dim mirror you just need to do switched power/ground. If it has a temp sensor you'd need to run that to the front of the car. If it's a homelink mirror with garage door controls you'd also need a constant power source.

You'll need to remove the driver's side A-post cover, the driver's door sill, and the outer kick panel on the driver's side. Tuck the wiring up above the headliner and route it over to the A-post. Run the wires down and either tuck them into the clips holding the factory wiring, or zip tie them in place. Make sure you don't run the wires across in front of the airbag in the A-post (this is why you're removing the cover instead of just tucking them behind the panels). To remove the A-post cover you grab the middle/bottom of the post cover and pull sharply to release two tension clips. You'll also pull the top which will pop out the clip which retains the cover when the airbag deploys. After the lower tension clips are released slide the whole piece upwards and it will come off. Then run your wires down to the footwell.

You'll need to find the wires to tap there depending on the mirror, but they'll all be in the wiring bundle there. And you can attach your ground to the same bolt going into the fire wall.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like even if it's beyond my ability, the mechanic I trust could do it pretty inexpensively.

Time to start checking eBay...

Old 12-07-2014, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

I recently bought this mirror off amazon for my wife's Prius https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's basically the exact same mirror the dealer installed in my 3 when I bought it in 2005. I'm pleased with how it functions in both car and would recommend it. There are several different models which add or take away features (compass, temp, homelink, etc.)

Old 12-08-2014, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by icspots
I recently bought this mirror off amazon for my wife's Prius https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's basically the exact same mirror the dealer installed in my 3 when I bought it in 2005. I'm pleased with how it functions in both car and would recommend it. There are several different models which add or take away features (compass, temp, homelink, etc.)

Thanks for the referral, icspots! I couldn't find the one that offers Homelink (which is the main reason I'm interested in replacing the mirror.) Is it a different manufacturer or was I just not seeing it?

Old 01-10-2015, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Probably just a different manufacturer. I don't have a garage in the house I'm in now so homelink doesn't really do anything for me.

My third car has a different brand auto-dim mirror with the compass/temp. display in the glass itself. I don't really like that version and prefer the display in the frame. I think most of the homelink ones have it in the glass.