Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2014 Mazda3: surprisingly poor gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 09:51 PM

Just throwing it out there. My 12 speed 3 with 15 k miles computer says 26 mpg avg. and I don't reset it often. More highway than street though. 70/30 I'd say. Highway cruise at 65/70 flat land reads mid 30's.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:54 AM
Default Average MPH

Originally Posted by jettoblack
Just to add another data point, my i GT (2.0L) is giving me an average of 36.0mpg after 2500 miles driven, which is about 60% highway, 20% rural (low speed but no stop-n-go), and 20% city stop-n-go. That seems spot on according to its rating. I go easy on the accelerator and try to keep it around 65-70 on the highway.

I thought cold weather was supposed to increase mileage, not decrease, because A) cold air and gas are denser which increases the compression ratio, and B) given equal volume, a gallon of cold gasoline is denser (more energy) than a gallon of warm gas. Plus you are likely keeping your windows closed and using heat (free) instead of A/C which takes energy.
Just out of curiosity, according to the computer in your i GT, what is the average speed corresponding with you gas mileage.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Shakemusic
Just out of curiosity, according to the computer in your i GT, what is the average speed corresponding with you gas mileage.
31 MPH average speed, although I don't know how this is calculated, I suspect it is the engine run time (or maybe time in forward gear) divided by the number of miles driven. Which means idling at a stop light, etc. reduces your average speed. I think I noticed that happening when the car was new and had few miles on it.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Default Mileage: I'm not sure if I'm lucky or other posters are unlucky

I have about 2,000 miles on my 2014 3s Touring. The mileage is pretty much as promised on the sticker. Here in the SF Bay Area, I get from 42mph on all freeway trips to mph in the high 20's for a combined city/hwy trip. After reading all your issues, I'll sure spot check things to see if that suddenly drops off.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:10 PM

Got a 2013 and getting 38 mpg combined. Doing mostly highway driving at 80 mph. Have no complaints yet and I do about 140 miles a day driving to and from work. Usually fill up every start of the 5th day.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:35 AM
Default Getting Great gas mileage

2014 iTouring 5-door with only a few miles on it got 40 mpg on Interstate near me. It did drop to 38 mpg on a very hilly section that I don't normally drive. But it coasts forever. Combined mpg is 32. City does drop below 30 - depends upon how long I'm stuck in barely moving traffic.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:58 PM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Shakemusic
I recently brought home my first Mazda: a brand new 2014 mazda3 S GT hatchback. Previously, I'd owned Nissans and Toyotas, but never a Honda or Mazda. I tested an Accord and HATED it. I was intrigued by the newly redesigned 3, and after driving one, my decision was clear.

So far I love almost everything about the car. There are some known infotainment system glitches that Mazda is working on fixing. But, apart from that, the one thing is that I'm getting much worse gas mileage that Mazda has rated for the 2.5 L engine (27/37). Admittedly, I've mostly been driving in horrible city conditions, but I'm getting 19mpg! I decided to test it out on the highway. I reset the computer and drove to visit family. I got it u to 25 mpg, but that was as high as it got. I did a manual test and found it to be accurate.

The car seems to be driving just fine. Any ideas what the problem could be? Anyone else getting lower-than-expected mileage?
HAHAH i'm coming from owning a 2012 ram 5.7 hemi on a hemi fever tune on 91 Octane if not 94.. that beast still got 1100 to a tank and i had 110 litre tank..
also running 520ftlbs to the wheels and 600 whp in a 6800 pound truck.. you wanna see a pig stomp on it hahah youd eat 90% of the low end sport cars no joke under 80000
NOW cold weather the HEMI was disgusting.... beyond belief!!. going from 1100 k a tank tuned... to 400 THAT much of a pig lol.

1. Cold weather being a huge factor NO car will be good on gas 100%
if your someone who has a CAI.. take it off you wont save any mileage there thats for sure.
summer wouldn't be so bad thats for sure.

2. run synthetic oil i have on all my vehicles.. cars trucks everything. better mileage not a massive difference but it does help and still change it at 5000 instead of the 8000 that some manufactures claim. Ams oil i swear by but preference.. but are also one of the only companies who actually show when the oil breaks down.

3. check the air filter.. plugged filter does make a big difference. .. but new car so that shouldn't be an issue more said for those who don't know.

4. some say injector cleaners etc. but I have used Lucas oil "also an injector cleaner" but does many others and is OEM approved. works mint!!! and defiantly has given better gas mileage and i mean noticeable in the HEMI gave me and extra 150 a tank

5. cars with higher milage.. spark plugs. i've always changed plugs around 90-100k mazdas manual calls for a longer period of time.. in my manual apparently ill have to check to see what is said however new plugs will also help.

6. check tire pressures.. SILLY yes but you'll notice a different if they arnt where they should be.. some say go by the tire PSI, go by whats on your door.
i made that mistake on the dodge..

7. you could have bad gas in it too.. given the opportunity your pass the break in period. if you got bad gas... you'll notice.

other issues could be, programming needs to be updated for the tranny and others, brakes needing service "dragging"
most of these you shouldn't need done with a new car. but just some info to help ya out