Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/)
-   -   2010 Mazda 3 upgrades (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/2010-mazda-3-upgrades-23153/)

Ailadad 06-16-2010 10:29 AM

2010 Mazda 3 upgrades

Hey all,

I bought a 2010 2.5L Mazda 3 hatch a few days ago. I already have a K&N air filter in it. I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do to help improve HP and MPGs, that is relatively low in cost and installation. I am not a mechanic, but I do work with electronics, so I would be comfortable with that. I could maybe do some light mechanical work, if need be.

I am specifically wondering about a performance chip to gain HP and MPGs. I have seen these over the years. Is there any truth to them? If so which one would work best? If I install it, what considerations must I think about after words, if at all (grade of gas, extra stress on the engine, etc, etc.)

This is one that I just stumbled upon online, no real clue if it works or not.

http://www.performancechipsdirect.com/Mazda/3-4Dr-HB/

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Tracker 06-16-2010 07:15 PM

Im calling bs on that, for the longest time the Mazda 3 was unchipable, i find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that not only they have one from some no name company but one for a 2.5l. About the only legit things you can do is add an exhaust system. You do realize that a chip mod requires soldering it into your ECU, for the cars that are available that work.

virgin1 06-16-2010 07:38 PM

I'm afraid I'm w/Tracker on this one.
The old rule of thumb: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
I have bought some of these fix-it-alls in my past and ALWAYS been disappointed.

The ECU in the Mazda is not very open to being messed with and only a few have succeeded... at a cost of around $1500, not $70.
This sounds like the old eBay seller scam of a performance "chip" for $7 that in actuality is a 10 cent resister from Radio Shack that makes your car run rich as h*ll.

My advice, and Trackers, stay away from what these "people" are claiming. It seems like nothing but a scam to separate you from your money. They'll take your money and leave you high and dry.

apbbnbanb_07 06-16-2010 10:45 PM

Agreed, especially since if you read the instructions, it connects to you MAF sensor, not your ECU.

virgin1 06-17-2010 08:26 AM

I didn't see that, but if it copnnects to the MAF then it is proably nothing but a fancy resister, only more expensive.
I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the electronics are just there to be visually impressive and justify the cost. If so, it'll do nothing but make your car run rich as h*ll.

My/Our advice, obviously, is to STAY AWAY!! Let someone else get ripped off.

shipo 06-17-2010 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Ailadad (Post 107998)
Hey all,

I bought a 2010 2.5L Mazda 3 hatch a few days ago. I already have a K&N air filter in it. I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do to help improve HP and MPGs, that is relatively low in cost and installation. I am not a mechanic, but I do work with electronics, so I would be comfortable with that. I could maybe do some light mechanical work, if need be.

I am specifically wondering about a performance chip to gain HP and MPGs. I have seen these over the years. Is there any truth to them? If so which one would work best? If I install it, what considerations must I think about after words, if at all (grade of gas, extra stress on the engine, etc, etc.)

This is one that I just stumbled upon online, no real clue if it works or not.

http://www.performancechipsdirect.com/Mazda/3-4Dr-HB/

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

In addition to what others have said about ScamChipsDirect.com, I feel compelled to point out that your K&N did absolutely nothing for your fuel economy and virtually nothing for performance. If you want true power gains (and your car has a manual transmission), add a turbo; just don't expect your fuel economy to improve as well.

Ailadad 06-17-2010 11:46 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I am a electronic tech and work with electronics/solder for a living, so that is not a concern. What would be is getting the right thing. However, it seems that there might not be such a thing.

But on the K&N thing... I didn't expect it increase HP or MPG drastically or anything, I just thought a 1 MPG improvement and maybe 2-3 (or something like that) gain in HP, at certain speeds and RPMs. Either way it is an improvement. Thanks for the advice though.

So there really isn't anything I can do simply besides, as they say, "keep more air in your tires?"

Thanks,

oh and it is stick, but I'm not putting in turbo......

thanks again,

shipo 06-17-2010 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ailadad (Post 108035)
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I am a electronic tech and work with electronics/solder for a living, so that is not a concern. What would be is getting the right thing. However, it seems that there might not be such a thing.

But on the K&N thing... I didn't expect it increase HP or MPG drastically or anything, I just thought a 1 MPG improvement and maybe 2-3 (or something like that) gain in HP, at certain speeds and RPMs. Either way it is an improvement. Thanks for the advice though.

So there really isn't anything I can do simply besides, as they say, "keep more air in your tires?"

Thanks,

oh and it is stick, but I'm not putting in turbo......

thanks again,

You've got a stick; cool, you've got a real transmission. ;)

Based upon the technology used in the your car's induction system, it is 100% physically impossible (as in contrary to the laws of physics) for a K&N to net you even .0001 MPG much less an entire mile per gallon. As for the power gains, I doubt the K&N got you even a half a horsepower at redline at wide-open-throttle unless your previous filter was seriously clogged. Their advertising might say otherwise, but last time I checked K&N hadn't yet repealed the laws of physics. :p

apbbnbanb_07 06-17-2010 05:53 PM

Wait, what? The chip is a ripoff?! But....it has a fancy knob and everything!
Bummer...

Tracker 06-17-2010 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by apbbnbanb_07 (Post 108045)
Wait, what? The chip is a ripoff?! But....it has a fancy knob and everything!
Bummer...

XD, must of been made by the F&F crew