Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2010 Mazda 3 upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Default 2010 Mazda 3 upgrades

Hey all,

I bought a 2010 2.5L Mazda 3 hatch a few days ago. I already have a K&N air filter in it. I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do to help improve HP and MPGs, that is relatively low in cost and installation. I am not a mechanic, but I do work with electronics, so I would be comfortable with that. I could maybe do some light mechanical work, if need be.

I am specifically wondering about a performance chip to gain HP and MPGs. I have seen these over the years. Is there any truth to them? If so which one would work best? If I install it, what considerations must I think about after words, if at all (grade of gas, extra stress on the engine, etc, etc.)

This is one that I just stumbled upon online, no real clue if it works or not.

http://www.performancechipsdirect.com/Mazda/3-4Dr-HB/

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Old 06-16-2010, 07:15 PM

Im calling bs on that, for the longest time the Mazda 3 was unchipable, i find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that not only they have one from some no name company but one for a 2.5l. About the only legit things you can do is add an exhaust system. You do realize that a chip mod requires soldering it into your ECU, for the cars that are available that work.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

I'm afraid I'm w/Tracker on this one.
The old rule of thumb: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
I have bought some of these fix-it-alls in my past and ALWAYS been disappointed.

The ECU in the Mazda is not very open to being messed with and only a few have succeeded... at a cost of around $1500, not $70.
This sounds like the old eBay seller scam of a performance "chip" for $7 that in actuality is a 10 cent resister from Radio Shack that makes your car run rich as h*ll.

My advice, and Trackers, stay away from what these "people" are claiming. It seems like nothing but a scam to separate you from your money. They'll take your money and leave you high and dry.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:45 PM

Agreed, especially since if you read the instructions, it connects to you MAF sensor, not your ECU.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

I didn't see that, but if it copnnects to the MAF then it is proably nothing but a fancy resister, only more expensive.
I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the electronics are just there to be visually impressive and justify the cost. If so, it'll do nothing but make your car run rich as h*ll.

My/Our advice, obviously, is to STAY AWAY!! Let someone else get ripped off.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Ailadad
Hey all,

I bought a 2010 2.5L Mazda 3 hatch a few days ago. I already have a K&N air filter in it. I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do to help improve HP and MPGs, that is relatively low in cost and installation. I am not a mechanic, but I do work with electronics, so I would be comfortable with that. I could maybe do some light mechanical work, if need be.

I am specifically wondering about a performance chip to gain HP and MPGs. I have seen these over the years. Is there any truth to them? If so which one would work best? If I install it, what considerations must I think about after words, if at all (grade of gas, extra stress on the engine, etc, etc.)

This is one that I just stumbled upon online, no real clue if it works or not.

http://www.performancechipsdirect.com/Mazda/3-4Dr-HB/

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
In addition to what others have said about ScamChipsDirect.com, I feel compelled to point out that your K&N did absolutely nothing for your fuel economy and virtually nothing for performance. If you want true power gains (and your car has a manual transmission), add a turbo; just don't expect your fuel economy to improve as well.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:46 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I am a electronic tech and work with electronics/solder for a living, so that is not a concern. What would be is getting the right thing. However, it seems that there might not be such a thing.

But on the K&N thing... I didn't expect it increase HP or MPG drastically or anything, I just thought a 1 MPG improvement and maybe 2-3 (or something like that) gain in HP, at certain speeds and RPMs. Either way it is an improvement. Thanks for the advice though.

So there really isn't anything I can do simply besides, as they say, "keep more air in your tires?"

Thanks,

oh and it is stick, but I'm not putting in turbo......

thanks again,

Last edited by virgin1; 06-17-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ailadad
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I am a electronic tech and work with electronics/solder for a living, so that is not a concern. What would be is getting the right thing. However, it seems that there might not be such a thing.

But on the K&N thing... I didn't expect it increase HP or MPG drastically or anything, I just thought a 1 MPG improvement and maybe 2-3 (or something like that) gain in HP, at certain speeds and RPMs. Either way it is an improvement. Thanks for the advice though.

So there really isn't anything I can do simply besides, as they say, "keep more air in your tires?"

Thanks,

oh and it is stick, but I'm not putting in turbo......

thanks again,
You've got a stick; cool, you've got a real transmission.

Based upon the technology used in the your car's induction system, it is 100% physically impossible (as in contrary to the laws of physics) for a K&N to net you even .0001 MPG much less an entire mile per gallon. As for the power gains, I doubt the K&N got you even a half a horsepower at redline at wide-open-throttle unless your previous filter was seriously clogged. Their advertising might say otherwise, but last time I checked K&N hadn't yet repealed the laws of physics.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:53 PM

Wait, what? The chip is a ripoff?! But....it has a fancy **** and everything!
Bummer...

Old 06-17-2010, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by apbbnbanb_07
Wait, what? The chip is a ripoff?! But....it has a fancy **** and everything!
Bummer...
XD, must of been made by the F&F crew

Quick Reply: 2010 Mazda 3 upgrades