Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2010 Mazda 3 HID ATS Headlight Service

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Default 2010 Mazda 3 HID ATS Headlight Service

I had the right headlight go out and am having trouble getting it fixed or even finding anyone who will work on it. The right light went out, then worked again for a week, then went out. I replaced the bulb but no joy. From what I've read the likely problem is the ballast. Since I can't even see the ballast I tried a local dealer who said they have to remove the bumper cover to access the ballast but they don't stock them so not much sense in taking it to them if they can't even fix it in one visit (Seems like a pretty stupid design). Tried the local Goodyear service who looked at it, said they think it is the ballast since I already replaced the buld with no effect, but they can't work on it since you have to take off the bumper cover.

1) How hard is it to take off the bumper cover

2) Once off is it easy to service the ballast and is there anyway to test it to make sure it is the problem first?

Thanks - Greg

Old 04-22-2012, 07:21 PM

being a headlight retrofitter I can tell you if it's not the bulb it could be something as simple as a bad ground. Some corrosion could have formed and is causing the issue.
I don't know too much about removing the bumper YET, I've only had my 3 now for a few weeks. But like most cars it's a few plastic retainers and screws that hold it on.
A quick google search, found this http://www.novustechnic.com/mazda3/horn_install/
Once off you can most likely swap the ballast from one side to the other. If the problem switches to the other side it's the ballast. If not then most likely it's a ground.
The reason why dealers don't stock the ballasts is because they are quite expensive. But i'm sure with some meter readings they can dignose the issue for you so you don't need to DIY being the car is a 2010 and fix it under warranty. If they can't fix it the same day they should supply a loaner or rental because driving without a headlight is a safety issue that could get you a ticket or cause an accident.

Last edited by Mazda3UR; 04-22-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:40 PM

Car is long out of warranty (72000 miles). Talked to two dealers, prices are absurd. $270 for just a bulb! Neither will even give an estimate for checking and/or replacing ballast. Act like pulling the bumper cover is a major job not the 10-20 minutes everyone else says. Both come across more like crooks than serivce managers. Read post of one guy who got charged about $1000 for a bulb and ballast replace by dealer.

Don't have time to try someplace if they can't promise to fix it, tried one place Saturday and they backed out of trying after seeing had to pull the bumper cover so that cost me a day already.

Thanks - Greg

Old 04-22-2012, 07:49 PM

i can get the bulbs for the car that isn't an issue and they aren't as expensive as you have said.
check ebay for the ballasts.
You don't have a location in your profile. If you are with in driving distance I can help you figure out what is wrong. If you aren't and you follow what I have said by swapping them you can find out if it is the ballast.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:09 PM

I'm in Annapolis MD. Got a bulb from the local parts store and already tried the simplest check. If I can find the someone has a ballast in stock I'll go ahead and try to pull the cover and see if swapping works, really no point in pulling the cover if no one has parts anyway. Also going to call the local parts recycler and one private shop with a pretty good reputation to see if they know that they can get parts and are willing to take it on as they should be better equiped to actually test for problems.

-Greg

Old 04-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Removing the bumper cover and the light housings really is only a 10 minute job. Just a bunch of bolts to remove, nothing difficult. There are likely about 3 bolts holding the headlight on and then you just flip it over to remove the ballast (it's screwed to the bottom of the housing).

Like he said swap the ballast with the other side and see if the problem stays or follows it. Ruling out issues is the biggest thing you want to do now.

For ballasts you can check junk yards or ebay. Also take a look at sites like hidplanet or theretrofitsource as you should be able to find replacements or recommendations from either of those.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:16 AM

Have the light repaired. It was the ballast unit. Dealer price is $750 and they don't have any stock. Got a used one from the parts recyclers for $350. Mightly high price for headlights! None of the parts places list an aftermarket one.

Due to rain and schedule I had a local privately owned shop do the work who did a good job for reasonable labor (and they chased the used part down too).

Thanks - Greg