Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2007 Mazda 3 A/C Switch Panel Problems - Fan Speed Knob causing A/C to turn on & off

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 05:45 PM
gee
Question 2007 Mazda 3 A/C Switch Panel Problems - Fan Speed **** causing A/C to turn on & off

Hey all,

I haven't been able to find any thread with this problem since honestly I don't know what keywords to use for it.

My wife has a 2007 Mazda 3 which has developed a problem with the A/C (which works completely fine when it's on). The problem appears to be with the fan speed control which causes the A/C to kick on and off at will. You can tell because the A/C button light will flicker. It's gotten to the point where you have to keep pressure on the fan speed **** spindle that the **** goes on to to keep the A/C on.

I've taken it to a dealer twice and asked that they look specifically at the switch panel. I can only assume that the panel is the problem. They insist up and down that "that's how they work"...??? So I guess the A/C is supposed to go on and off whenever it wants? LOL. Um yeah. Ok.

Since the A/C works fine otherwise, I'm reasonably sure the whole switch panel needs to be replaced. I'm wondering if anyone has had the same problem and/or has replaced that panel. I can find brand new ones on eBay for around $40 and I have fixed cars before but I can't tell if it is a reasonably DIY friendly swap or not. Otherwise I may try an independent shop and have them replace it.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by gee; 08-03-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

When you say kicks on & off, do you mean the compressor clutch kicks on & off or the actual heater fan under the dash turns on & off by itself?

Old 08-04-2015, 09:09 AM
gee

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
When you say kicks on & off, do you mean the compressor clutch kicks on & off or the actual heater fan under the dash turns on & off by itself?
Yeah the compressor kicks on and off. I definitely want to get this fixed soon before the clutch wears out. The car shudders multiple times as I watch the A/C light go on and off. The fan is always on and never changes speed.

I did talk to a friend who has a 2004 3 last night and it sounds like he has the same thing happen, but only once in a while. He tells me that when the fan speed is off, the panel automatically turns the A/C off on his. Since the panel for our car is for 07-09 from what I've found out, I don't know if that happens on ours but it seems logical that if the panel thinks the fan is off that the A/C is being shut off too. The panel's buttons on our 3 are also sticky too which I forgot to mention, so I think the panel just needs to go.

I found a couple pictures of a Mazda dealer listing a new control panel on eBay and the only thing that worries me about installing this myself is the long wire attachments in back which I'm assuming are the control bars for the vents and heater control. Anyone know how easy/hard this swap is? Like I said, I would normally attempt this myself but only if it's a relatively straightforward swap.

Attached Thumbnails 2007 Mazda 3 A/C Switch Panel Problems - Fan Speed Knob causing A/C to turn on & off-%24-kgrhqv-rufh4eu2hrlbr-fmkhi0-60_12.jpg   2007 Mazda 3 A/C Switch Panel Problems - Fan Speed Knob causing A/C to turn on & off-%24-kgrhqj-rofhn-pv1mbr-fmn0jfg-60_12.jpg  
Old 08-05-2015, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

All A/C compressors will 'cut in & out", its called cycling & is 100% normal, it it didn't the pressure would go too high & burst.

The A/C light going on & off is weird. Can't help with that.