Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2005 mazda 3 2.3l tranny swap question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 07:19 PM
Default 2005 mazda 3 2.3l tranny swap question?

Hi everyone, im new... In a lot of ways lol. New to the site, new to owning my 05 mz3 2.3l hatchback, and also new to doing the work I have ahead of myself. I really like my new mz3 but i bought it with tranny issues hoping for an easy fix, but no such luck. My 3rd gear is gone and 4th is starting not to mention the clutch doesnt have much left in it either. Before you say "why did you buy it?" i only paid 650$ cad for it and expected some work. So the point im at now is deciding on a tranny to swap in. I tried a lot of looking around and couldnt get a clear answer so i was hoping for help. Basically im hunting for a cheap used tranny and want to know if any mazda 2.3l manual tranny will bolt on. I know the mazda 5 and 6 both have a manual 2.3l version so would they both bolt up?
sorry in advance im sure this topic has been covered. Tried searching for a couple days and could really use some help.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:23 PM

I believe the answer is yes, however, if you call your local bone yard they will have an interchange book which will be able to answer the question definitively.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
I believe the answer is yes, however, if you call your local bone yard they will have an interchange book which will be able to answer the question definitively.
thanks for the help. Called around to a few wreckers and got a transmission for 175$+tax.
now i just need to figure out the instalation lol.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:03 PM

Good job and nice price.

Here's a thought. Given the 2.3 liter engine in the Mazda3 is not known for longevity (internal oil control issues), before performing major surgery on your car you might want to locate a 2.5 liter Ford Duratec (they are the virtual twin to the Mazda 2.3 but with very important internal upgrades) they are extremely plentiful, very inexpensive, very reliable, more powerful, and yet get the same fuel economy, and swap both the engine and transmission at the same time. If your current 2.3 is running well, there is a very high demand for these engines (due to all of the failures), and as such, they also fetch a handsome price. You might be able to fetch more than the cost of the new transmission, the Duratec engine,and all new clutch, hose, and belt replacements in the process.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:58 AM

Good job and nice price.

Here's a thought. Given the 2.3 liter engine in the Mazda3 is not known for longevity (internal oil control issues), before performing major surgery on your car you might want to locate a 2.5 liter Ford Duratec (they are the virtual twin to the Mazda 2.3 but with very important internal upgrades) they are extremely plentiful, very inexpensive, very reliable, more powerful, and yet get the same fuel economy, and swap both the engine and transmission at the same time. If your current 2.3 is running well, there is a very high demand for these engines (due to all of the failures), and as such, they also fetch a handsome price. You might be able to fetch more than the cost of the new transmission, the Duratec engine,and all new clutch, hose, and belt replacements in the process.
I really apreciate the info and am very interested in possibly giving this a try. A few questions tho. Would the 2.3l tranny i priced bolt up to the 2.5l duratec considering you said they are almost twins? Or is there a better tranny that you would recommend? Also any resources or sites you could recommend for more in depth info on the 2.5l and what all is needed for the swap wpuld be incredible.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:41 AM

Yes, the tranny will bolt right up. I haven't done the swap, but as I understand it, you swap the Mazda manifolds and sensors onto the Ford engine and then bolt it in place. If you query something like "mazda 2.3 to ford 2.5 conversion" on your favorite search engine you will come up with numerous threads, how-tos, and YouTube videos on the conversion.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:05 AM

Yes, the tranny will bolt right up. I haven't done the swap, but as I understand it, you swap the Mazda manifolds and sensors onto the Ford engine and then bolt it in place. If you query something like "mazda 2.3 to ford 2.5 conversion" on your favorite search engine you will come up with numerous threads, how-tos, and YouTube videos on the conversion.
After doing some research this option doesnt really work for me. In order to do the swap u need a good majority of the top end of the mazda engine swapped into the 2.5l ford block. So there would be no way for me to trade my functioning 2.3l engine for a cheaper 2.5l with a tranny bc without the top end of the mazda engine it will not work. Many parts are in fact interchangable but there are also many that are not. This method is more for those with a small issue with the bottom end of there 2.3l or just someone looking to put a bit more power into it. The engines are swappable but certainly not as simple as just bolting it in. Its still given me things to consider for the future tho and i really apreciate your help!

Old 08-30-2018, 12:24 PM

I'm not sure which conversion thread you were looking at, but NOTHING from the engine needs replacing; literally just swap the sensors and manifolds and call it a day. In the end this leaves you with a fully functional 2.3 liter motor to sell.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:44 AM

I'm not sure which conversion thread you were looking at, but NOTHING from the engine needs replacing; literally just swap the sensors and manifolds and call it a day. In the end this leaves you with a fully functional 2.3 liter motor to sell.
Can you link a thread with someone That's done it? We are clearly looking at different information so a confirmation from a successful swap in that way would be awsome. Thanks for your help man.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Super87man
Can you link a thread with someone That's done it? We are clearly looking at different information so a confirmation from a successful swap in that way would be awsome. Thanks for your help man.
Just did some more research and havent seen a single other person recommend that swap. Anyone that's asked for more power out of their 3 Is recommend to turbo or get a speed3 Engine not one person recommends the 2.5 swap. I think u need to do some more research before making recomendations. Show me a link to someone doing a simple bolt in swap with that 2.5 and I'll reconsider.

Quick Reply: 2005 mazda 3 2.3l tranny swap question?