Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2004 Mazda 3, 2.3 - Loss of power between first and second gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Default 2004 Mazda 3, 2.3 - Loss of power between first and second gear

In the last couple of days I am seeing a serious loss of power (and rev) between first and second gear. Recently changed spark plugs and I am now cleaning the drop in K&N filter. Anyone have any suggestions on what might be the problem before I take it in?

Old 04-18-2010, 07:07 PM

fuel pressure, timing, battery, any cels?

Old 04-26-2010, 04:25 PM

Drivetrain issues?

Power drain due to ignition wear?

Old 04-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Default Clutch...AGAIN!

So I am on my third Clutch. First one at 35K and the next one at 72K. So this time I stayed clear of the OE Clutch. I am installing a Clutchmasters FX300 (10-059-HDTZ) Series III clutch. Let's hope this last a while. On the same note Mazda needs to do something about the OE clutch because it is crap.

Next on the list Exhaust...thinking Vibrant Borla (don't want it to sound like a Civic) anyone got any opinions?

Old 04-27-2010, 08:45 PM

you just have some bad luck bro, my friends 3 clutch lasted more than 60k miles. and i hope to god that you didnt buy a stage 3 clutch, if you think you have problems now? go ahead and put that sucker in and see what happens

Old 04-28-2010, 08:17 AM
Default Stage III

We've had a lot of OEM clutches going out at 25-35k here in the area. I hear what your saying on the stage III but the Clutch Masters is still a street clutch and it gets a lot of good reviews. Do you have any experiences with this clutch?

Old 04-28-2010, 08:57 AM

I got 110K on my original OEM clutch. No problems and I run the wheels off it. Might I suggest driving habits?

Heck, while you're replacing the clutch see if you can find a lightweight flywheel. Less inertia, motor will rev faster. Would be a performance upgrade. I haven't been in the market for one so I don't know for sure if anyone makes one for the 3.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by DreadPir8
We've had a lot of OEM clutches going out at 25-35k here in the area. I hear what your saying on the stage III but the Clutch Masters is still a street clutch and it gets a lot of good reviews. Do you have any experiences with this clutch?
In other cars yes, and thats why i gave the warning, i forgot about your exhaust question, if you can afford it vibrant or borla are THE best sounding exhaust system available, then its magnaflow, f2, i just swapped my old exhaust for a stock spd3 one really nice tone to it, kinda a pain to get it to fit right.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:19 AM
Default It's in...

Got the Clutch Masters RX300 installed. I likey! It does have a lot more torque in first 3 gears. First gear is pretty much GO. I am getting use to it and shifting is becoming a lot smoother. Give me a couple of days. I really think it's going to work. Only had a bit of shutter on an incline but pedal pressure is very similar to the OEM. I did do a lot of homework before deciding on the CM Stage 3 clutch kit for my 3. So far I am happy with it.
I'll keep you posted.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:25 AM

@ozfree79 I actually am a pretty non-aggressive driver. Do downshift and occasionally powershift. I looked into upgrading the flywheel with a Firenza but the interesting thing was that the advice I received was to go no lighter than 11lbs. I know a lot of peeps are recommending the 7lbs (light) flywheels. I just had my OEM resurfaced. The new clutch alone was already emptying my bank.

Quick Reply: 2004 Mazda 3, 2.3 - Loss of power between first and second gear