Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2 INCH DROP

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 02:35 PM
Default 2 INCH DROP

I am currently contemplating putting SKUNK 2 lowering springs in my 2006 Mazda 3s GT. Does anyone have any experience lowering your mazda 2inches?? How is the ride? Any problems bottoming out? Any input on the matter would be really appreciated. THANKS in advance!

Old 03-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Default RE: 2 INCH DROP

I've got the Eibach Prokit springs (1.2") and I already scrape going into some driveways and through car washes. I wouldn't go that low myself. Not to mention you'll eat up rear tires unless you get an adjustable camber link to get the camber back in spec. I've got the Mazdaspeed Camber link in mine and it got it right back to a stock -1 degree.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:35 AM

I have Tein OC on my 3 and lowered it about the same as a prokit. I could have gone lower but since this is a dd and not a dedicated racer I compromised a little. With 45 series tires (215/45/17) it corners quite well. I have the option of running 36psi for somewhat of a more comfortable ride or 38+ for harder cornering. IMO I think the car would look great without a wheel gap but the ride will be really harsh.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:26 AM

hey
I just got my shunk 2 lowering springs in today and the real drop distance is 1.3-1.5 inches. Can't wait to put them on. I know I will have to get a camber kit. Not sure how much off allinement it wil be until I have them put on.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:26 PM

Well they may be able to get the camber right to factory specs, not much different then the prokit drop.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:38 PM

Anyone have any problems bottoming out with you M3 lowered? if i get the new springs and lower the car does that mean i will automatically need a new camber kit?

Old 03-21-2007, 04:25 PM

if you raise a truck, or lower a car, you will most likely always have to adjust the camber....

when the wheel gets lowered (or lifted), it doesnt lift straight up or down, but more in a rounded movement...
so with that happening, you need to adjust the camber... you could just leave it, but then the one side of your tires will be bald in no time, cuz the side of the tire has more pressure on it from the wieght of the car

Old 03-21-2007, 04:33 PM

Is there a way to adjust the existing camber?? or do you have to puchase new parts?

Old 03-21-2007, 06:17 PM

i am not sure about the MS 3, but i know on the 3i and 3s that the camber is not adjustable with stock suspension. i have my 3s lowered on height adjustable tein basic coilovers, and i am using mazdaspeed camber links in the rear. you can find the camber links for $200 (not through mazda parts department) to $250 (through mazda parts department) the links set the camber to the proper setting. also, after lowering you car, you should get an alignment.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:17 PM

On the 3, everything to re-align the suspension is adjustable with the exception of the rear camber. To correct the rear camber to stock specs, you have to swap in longer upper camber links. It's not too hard, but you need to be able to drop the rear suspension carrier a couple of inches in order to back one of the bolts out.

The Prokit is pretty much the least drop available (Mine was 1" and 1.2" F/R) and that pushed me from -1 degree to -2.1 degrees in the rear. The camber links put me right back at a stock -1 degree. Bigger drops have a more dramatic effect on the camber at ride height.

-2.1 is the very top end of "in specification", but you will wear your rear tires on the inside edge faster with camber settings like that. (It does, however,handle better with higher negative camber) Any drop that goes beyond the Pro-kit would put your rear camber out of spec.

Quick Reply: 2 INCH DROP