Mazda2 This new subcompact applies a sporty look and feel to a great economy car.

Occasional jerking/hesitation when accelerating from 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 02:29 PM
Default Occasional jerking/hesitation when accelerating from 2nd gear

Good day all.

i have an issue with my 2020 Mazda 2 dynamic auto.

my car occasionally jerks when i accelerate from 2nd gear and at low rpm. The issue happens when i am accelerating from from 1st gear into 2nd gear between 1800 - 3500 rpm. There is a sharp thud when the car downshifts into first gear.
all the above happens occasionally.

i took the car to Mazda and they inspected the tcm, the fuel level and they confirmed its 100%. They did a software update but the issue is still there.

i took the vehicle to have the suspension inspected and the engine mounts inspected as well, everything is 100%.

i am wondering what more could be another possible culprit for this or if someone out there has experienced something similar and can share?

at this point i am thinking maybe it is a bad torque converter?

Old 03-26-2024, 10:49 AM

The miles helps to know when asking problems.

If you have over 100k miles when was the transmission service last and at what miles? You are describing a transmission that the valve body and servos are sticking due to long period of not doing basic transmission service. i.e. pan filter and fluid changes. If you do not at least have you pan dropped and inspect the condition of the visual parts as well what has settled in the pan you could be looking at a transmission failing in the near future.

Naturally you also need to check the ECU/TCM for history of pending DTC that could be related to your problems. (I am suspicious something was overlooked when you had it checked)

Old 03-26-2024, 03:26 PM
Default More information

here is more information

my 2020 mazda 2 dynamic auto has 67480km on the clock (with full service history)

I took the car to Mazda and they checked the transmission fuel quality and level and deemed it 100%. They suspected either the engine mount or the suspension, but Car service city (a service centre here in South Africa) ruled those out and deemed them 100%. I have just done a major service(oil filter, engine oil, spark plugs) on the car but the issue is still there.
i have no idea if the car has had a gearbox service done to it, i bought the vehicle second hand.

Originally Posted by Callisto
The miles helps to know when asking problems.

If you have over 100k miles when was the transmission service last and at what miles? You are describing a transmission that the valve body and servos are sticking due to long period of not doing basic transmission service. i.e. pan filter and fluid changes. If you do not at least have you pan dropped and inspect the condition of the visual parts as well what has settled in the pan you could be looking at a transmission failing in the near future.

Naturally you also need to check the ECU/TCM for history of pending DTC that could be related to your problems. (I am suspicious something was overlooked when you had it checked)

Old 03-26-2024, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by benjibar
here is more information

my 2020 mazda 2 dynamic auto has 67480km on the clock (with full service history)

I took the car to Mazda and they checked the transmission fuel quality and level and deemed it 100%. They suspected either the engine mount or the suspension, but Car service city (a service centre here in South Africa) ruled those out and deemed them 100%. I have just done a major service(oil filter, engine oil, spark plugs) on the car but the issue is still there.
i have no idea if the car has had a gearbox service done to it, i bought the vehicle second hand.
Not sure how they based on the information you told me anyone could have concluded it was a supporting mount??? If you had a failed or failing mount, you would feel it in all gear changes not just a couple. And not sure what they or you meant by suspension because again your explanation of the problem you would notice in more than just one or 2 gear changes.
Unless they took a sample of your transmission fluid and sent it off to be analyzed they and no one can state the condition of the fluid. Unless the transmission pan was removed and inspected what has settled and also look at the valve body no one can state the true overall health of the transmission.

I have no cluse who the places you have been taking your Mazda to get service work I have not yet had the pleasure to visit your country, but I know one thing ... I am not impressed with the automotive service shops there?