Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda Tribute (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-tribute-22/)
-   -   Water leak into the hatch and driver floor board area in my daughters 2005 tribute (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-tribute-22/water-leak-into-hatch-driver-floor-board-area-my-daughters-2005-tribute-33221/)

OLIVAR 03-01-2014 06:11 PM

Water leak into the hatch and driver floor board area in my daughters 2005 tribute

My daughter called from college -- 10 hours away panicked that the front floor board of her tribute was soaking wet. We immediately thought it was the heater, but after researching it, and coming to the conclusion that it is water and not coolant, the heater was ruled out. This afternoon, she called and said that the water is not just in the driver and passenger floor, but the floor of the hatch is very wet. I don't know of anything that would leak water in the back of the vehicle. Any help or ideas will be appreciated.

UseYourNoggin 03-01-2014 06:14 PM

Sunroof?

virgin1 03-01-2014 07:22 PM

That was my first thought as well.
Factory sunroofs have channels and drains that take away the water that will inevitably enter between the roof of the vehicle and the moveable part of the sunroof. There are usually four drain, LF/RF/LR/RR, and if any of them become clogged, the water will back up into the vehicle.
Now you have not verified the car has a 'roof,' but that would be the first place to look.
Oh, and BTW, the easiest way to clear these is using compressed air, on a low setting. Too much pressure could blow the drain hoses completely off, and you wouldn't want that to happen.

grim_reaper 03-02-2014 01:52 AM

Pull out the floor carpet & boot carpet. Get someone to crawl around inside the car while someone hoses the car down and look for leaks.

tanprotege 03-02-2014 07:17 AM

+1 ^^^

Prime areas: door and hatch rubber. Gaps around the tail lights. Window surrounds.
If there is a roof rack or a spoiler check the mounting holes and hardware.

OLIVAR 03-02-2014 11:17 AM

The Tribute does have a sunroof.

OLIVAR 03-02-2014 11:23 AM

Thank you so much. The Tribute does have a sunroof. I wish I knew more about cars, but I am so grateful for your input. It makes perfect sense.

UseYourNoggin 03-02-2014 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by virgin1 (Post 144757)

Factory sunroofs have channels and drains that take away the water that will inevitably enter between the roof of the vehicle and the moveable part of the sunroof. There are usually four drain, LF/RF/LR/RR, and if any of them become clogged, the water will back up into the vehicle.

Another good reason never to buy a useless sunroof! They are an extra unecessary cost.

virgin1 03-02-2014 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin (Post 144786)
Another good reason never to buy a useless sunroof! They are an extra unnecessary cost.

Using that logic, the same could be said about the HVAC system of even windows that open.
I miss not having a sunroof in my Mazda. The one in my Golf was open nearly every time I drove the car, winter or summer.

UseYourNoggin 03-02-2014 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by virgin1 (Post 144787)
Using that logic, the same could be said about the HVAC system of even windows that open.
I miss not having a sunroof in my Mazda. The one in my Golf was open nearly every time I drove the car, winter or summer.

Ever forget to close it? Then have it rain, or snow? BLAH! :eek:Sometimes I'm lucky to lock the doors let alone remember to close sunroof!

tanprotege 03-02-2014 02:19 PM

I see a difference in priorities. A sunroof makes a car's interior appear friendlier, brighter and gives that hint of open air.
But it is not for the extreme frugal types. Not only is it an add-on expense at purchase, it will also promote corrosion because the drains go into the rockers.

UseYourNoggin 03-02-2014 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by tanprotege (Post 144790)
I see a difference in priorities. A sunroof makes a car's interior appear friendlier, brighter and gives that hint of open air.
But it is not for the extreme frugal types. Not only is it an add-on expense at purchase, it will also promote corrosion because the drains go into the rockers.

Brighter is no good, extra glare reflecting off the back of my glasses and in to my eyes. Extra sun = extra heat as well!

Open air circulation is the only benefit of a sunroof, period. This does not outweigh anything else, unless you park at make-out point and want to look at the stars!.

http://picolio.auto123.com/autovenus...?scale=650x433

exodave 03-15-2014 07:36 PM

My 2001 leaks rain water right down to the fuse box and onto the floor on the driver's side. I tried to have the windshield replaced, and the installer pointed out some signs of rust around the top of the windshield I hadn't noticed. He refused to do the work because he was afraid of rust damage all around the windshield, creating holes under the moulding and letting rain water in. I might just have a close look around the whole windshield, sunroof and other windows and see if there isn't any bubbling in the paint, indicating some water damage underneath.

WhaCk 01-16-2015 05:31 PM

I know this is an old thread ...but just to confirm the sunroof is the issue I had the problem of the passenger side filling up with water with heavy rain I sent time checking everything including the sunroof drains (which were clear btw) after exhausting all possibility's I ran a small bead of silicone around the sunroof rubber to the body of the car ...problem solved the aperture on the drains is not enough to drain the water sufficiently away imo ..if I want to use the stupid sunroof ill need to buy a new seal

virgin1 01-17-2015 11:57 AM

Another prime area for water infiltration are clogged drains in both the door bottoms and the rocker panels. These must be clear or water will back up into the vehicle's interior.
On most Mazda's I am familiar with, the door drains have little plastic doors which acts like check valves to allow moisture to escape from inside the door but not come up from the bottom. These need to be opened and cleared from time-to-time. Again, a shot of low pressure compressed air is the easiest, fastest way to make that happen.