Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Transmission failure

Old 04-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Default Transmission failure

I should be a proud owner of a Tribute 2001 6cyl Auto 4wd when a bunch of problems have started to pop up one after another
- blinking headlights
- "clunk" at the front (swaybar or another parts falling apart)
- Engine light "on", probably egr again
- and the latest:
Overdrive light stat flashing after 15 min. Transmission shift at a higher RPM. At cold, does not passfrom 1st to 2nd gear at all...

A mazda repair shop said that the ODBII does not shows any prpoblem with the transmission.

I still like my vehicule, nice ride, good performance, plenty of space, don't feel I'm tagged as mamooth SUV user...

[:@]

Old 04-03-2006, 10:35 PM
Default RE: Transmission failure

Do not know of any sensor that would cause the headlights to blink on and off. Is it equipped with Daytime running lights (in other words do the headlights come on automaticly when engine is running or do you need to manually turn them on with the swich?
Front sway bar links are somewhat common to get loose and make cluncking noises.
Did the mazda repair shop give you any codes from the engine or transmission for the CEL being on and HOLD light flashing? Both should have caused a fault code to be stored. There are a number of TSB's out that may apply but without a fault code not much can be done here. What do you mean by....At cold, does not passfrom 1st to 2nd gear at all...

Old 05-26-2006, 04:44 AM

So how do the gears change with overdrive off?

Old 01-22-2008, 04:23 PM

My 2001 Tribute began to not go into second gear when it was cold outside. I live in southeast Texas so it's not often cold, unfortunately I ignored the problem. In the past 24 hours my transmission has refused to go into any gear without great force. The problem has been intermittant, and I even had to convince a mechanic to test drive it a second time. The result - Rebuilt Transmission! Has anyone else had their transmission rebuilt, and if so did this issue recur? This does not seem to be an isolated issue, anyone know why Mazda hasn't issued a recall?

Old 04-24-2008, 10:53 PM

First off I'm new to this wonderful Mazda forum. I'm the not so proud owner of a 2004 3.0 4x4 LX now with a failed transmission. The kicker it's only been off waranty 5,000 miles and I've only owned it for 10,000 miles. I bought it here in MN from a large dealer....and now after it starts running at a high rpm in low gear before shifting, I took it in today and low and behold torque converter...shot 3749.65 to get it fixed, I lost it I called Mazda and basically got the too bad you should have bought the extended warranty. I was livid, are you kidding me this is the best you can do. Thought I was buying something affordable, decent on gas and I'll never save enough on gas to cover that. It's funny though when I called the dealer back later in the day(Walser) the tech couldn't tell me what was wrong they didn't even take notes on the problem. So I guess it's time for a face to face. I don't expect this to go well in my favor. But I will every time I hear someone is looking for a vehicle bad mouth Mazda over and over and over and over, well you get the point, back to transmissions anyone else had any problems nearly related to this and any suggestions on a possible resolution?

Disgruntled

Old 04-28-2008, 06:41 PM

I have a 2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 AWD and I bought mine used from Mazda dealer here in ATL, hell it was even certified at 40k mi., Well behold I get to 70k mi. 2 years later and there goes my transmission. I have a extended warranty, but hell Mazda almost didn't want to pay for the $3,500 repair because the recall on the engine was only for 2WD, but that made no since to me because all the V6 engines are Duratec, so the drive has nothing to do with it. After shelving out $2,500 Mazda realized the warranty covered the damage, so I was reimbursed a month later. Now I'm the process of getting this crap off my hands because now I have a new batch of problems: master cylinder, drive belt, replacing brakes for 3rd time in 2 years, and possible alternator issues. I hate this car and its the worst as far as gas mileage goes, I think I'm avg. about 17 mi. to the gallon and thats with 75% hwy driving, damn shame I know, my gas lights comes on at 243.5 mi. every 4-5 days.