Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Replacing Cigarette Lighter

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 11:57 AM
Default Replacing Cigarette Lighter

The cigarette lighter in my 2003 Tribute V6 2WD needs to be replaced. The Haynes manual supposedly shows in Chapter 11 how to remove the center console trim. Step One is removed the glove box (first figure). Step Two involves inserting a dowel and removing some sort of cable (second figure). I cannot figure out what the picture is trying to show me. It seems that figure two would show what is revealed by removing the glove box, but it does not look the same. I wonder whether the picture is in the wrong place. If you happen to have the manual (http://tinyurl.com/2ca2d3), I would appreciate a double check. The cigarette lighter does need to be replaced.

My other question is, what is the risk of setting off the air bag by messing around in the center console? The manual cautions to remove the negative battery terminal, which I will do, but I do wonder how serious the risk is.

Thanks for any input.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:37 PM
Default RE: Replacing Cigarette Lighter

Is this the picture that you are seeing??

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/95B581EB7DE44126BAA07A734345F4B8.gif[/IMG]

Is so then you will not have any dowel pin to install. This is just to center the hot/cold blend door before removing the cable. Manual has you removing the entire console assembly to get to the backside of the lighter socket for removal which is really not necessary. If you will just rotate the dash vent that is just to the right of the radio fully to the right, you will have a little hand hold to grab the console trim. Pull outward and that side should easily release from dash. You should then be able to pull the console out no more than 2 inches which will give you more than enough access to the backside of the console. There are two little black tabs at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions. Pry both of these little tabs outward and push the lighter socket right out of the console and replace. Much quicker.
Odds of having any problem with the air bag would be roughly equal to getting struck by lightning at exactly 9:32 tomorrow morning

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/5D9A5979BAC3431F903E35DA351C62B2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-25-2007, 06:37 PM

Yes, that's it. I was able to pull on the cover and get it to come out some, but I was scared to pull on it for fear of setting off the air bag -- or breaking something. I'll go try again to see if I can get the cover out far enough.

First edit: Okay, I got the cover up enough to get to the cigarette lighter, now I cannot get the tabs to release. The cigarette lighter rotates, so there is no 12:00/6:00 situation. Maybe I have not properly identified the tabs. The socket moves around in the opening, but it will not release so that I can pull it out.

Second edit: I just tried again, but no luck. It seems that the tabs are lifted such that the part the engages the lighter socket is completely disengaged, but the socket will not push through. What happened to the screw-on collar days???

Man, I wish you were in NC!!

Old 06-27-2007, 02:49 AM

Wish I was in NCalso as have never been there and have understood that is a beautiful area. Stuck in OR (which is also a nice place to live ) so will have to do best I can to guide thru some pics. The metal part of the lighter socket is the only part that will push out when releasing the tabs so should not matter if the socket rotates for tabs to be in the 12 or 6 o'clock postion but metal part should not be able to rotate with tabs locked in as they would also prevent any rotation. Let me see if can get some better pics of the socket and what you may be dealing with from the back side.

Ok, I think I see what is happening. The black trim ring and the metal cylinder of the socket will turn together. First pic below is with lighter removed and trim ring pulled back. The arrow on the silver cylinder points to the square hole that the locking tab of the trim ring will engage and highlighted the locking tab on the trim ring with orangealso (thumb highlighted also although not on purpose). Second pic just shows different angle with both of the locking tabs bent out of the way enough to allow socket to be pulled out. Socket is a fairly tight fit in the trim ring but if the locking tabs are bent out of the way like in the second pic there should be nothing else holding it in there.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/E476DBFC30E04E1A95EAD2E56323C2C0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/92E0C880CD42472398A13B3F595C2480.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Default Mazda Tribute 2004 replace cigarett lighter.

Seems simple enough to replace the cigarette lighter core in a Mazda Tribute 2004 but already I have a problem. I can gain access to the back of the ligher through flipping down the glove compartment

The connecting wire (for the power source) has a yellow clip that holds it in place. I have tried everything to remove it but no go. I should just slip right off, but apparently I am doing something wrong. Any ideas?

Also, the new replacment unit has two places that the power can be connected. I am sure I have the correct replacement part, although it is another brand. Should I just ignore the one mounted on the side and run the power to the connector at the bottom?