Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

radio removal problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Default radio removal problems

i have an '05 tribby. i was trying to get the radio out using the DIN tools from ford but the thing just would come out.i tryed doing it slowly and carefully but it didnt work out. i was trying to hear a click when i was using the tools but i couldnt realy hear anything. i was getting so frustratedthat i just started forcing them in. this seemed to work better because i could kinda pull the thing out but i still couldnt get it out all the way? what is the deal with this?
thanks in advance

Old 04-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Default RE: radio removal problems

Don't feel bad, when my 04 radio crapped out and I had Best Buy replace it for me, they had one heck of a time getting the stock radio out also. They said they had to go in from behind and press in on the retainer tabs because the "special" tool wasn't quite getting it all the way in. They had to remove the dash panel and go at it from under and behind. Good Luck

Old 04-02-2007, 12:32 PM

In my Taurus I used 6d nails in the holes instead of the special tools. Seemed to work OK for it. I have not had to get into the dash of my Tribute so I can only assume that the nails would work for it.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:09 PM

Hmmm...I just bought a 2005 radio with the satellite option to replace my stock 2004 radio w/o the feature. I guess getting the stock radio out won't be as easy as removing the dash panel and taking out a few screws, as has been my experience with radios in other cars.

What do I need to know in order to get the old radio out and the new radio in...?

Old 04-03-2007, 07:46 PM

It is actually usually easier than having to remove a couple of screws unless you have a stubborn one like viktor. There are a couple of trim pieces that run the vertical length of the audio unit on either side. Remove these two covers and will see some holes revealed. You will need a total of 4 Ford style radio removal tools to insert into these holes. As you are inserting the tools, aim the tips that are going into the holes as much as you can going away from the radio to engage the steel spring clips that hold the radio in solid. You should feel them engage the spring clips about 3/4 of an inch in. Spread all four tool handles outward and pull. Radio SHOULD pull right out. If it does not then you did not get the tools installed right. Sometimes the spring clips get bent too far outward to enable you to engage them with the tool. There are a couple of access holes in the dash on either side of the radio that will allow you to push the clips inward enough to get the tools to work.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/0BD4F93F165C4268B53C596EEB1EB1E7.jpg[/IMG]
These are what the radio removal tools look like. Most parts store should have them.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/391ACC73083949539269BC4DE9891BDD.gif[/IMG]
Trim covers that cover the holes to insert the tools into.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/5BF5971A749347A09AD6DFC9499BCB7E.gif[/IMG]
Spread tools outward and pull.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/451C3FB799B54F4F812FE26E2A1EC21F.gif[/IMG]
To remove the trim panel around the radio to access the emergency release holes remove the two 7mm screws located at #1 in the diagram. Ignore #2, is nothing there. Pivot both center dash vents to blow outward and the gap left on the inner side of the vent hole will give you a place to grab and pull the trim panel outward. Not too far so as to pull wires out of connectors though.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/21FDA2D15EBC4DA0B0E2F18364BF2DFC.jpg[/IMG]
Here is the access hole on the right side that will allow you to push the spring clip towards the radio to enable you to insert the toolswith trim panel pulled out just enough to access.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:58 PM

BabyHuey - thanks so much for the info and pics. Very helpful, as always. By the way, the satellite equipped radio I bought was the one you showed me on ebay in another thread. Thanks again for that (even though it hasn't showed up yet). Do I have to remove the large dash piece that encompasses the radio, center dash vents, and climate control panel? It doesn't look like I have to, according to your diagram. Do I just remove two small, narrow trim pieces on either side of the radio to access where I am going to place the tools?

Old 04-05-2007, 09:46 PM

Glad to hear the radio is on the way.
You do not need to remove the large trim panel unless you are unable to remove radiowith the Ford radio tools. Pulled one today so you could get a better idea of how easy it usually is. If you are in with your dealer, they might even pull out for you so you will not have to buy the tools. Only takes a few seconds and could be done in the service drive.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/93520D4E920B404BAA64EDDB0ABA8FE6.jpg[/IMG]
Once the little trim pieces on sides of radio are removed you are ready to insert the tools. You should see five holes on each side. Ignore the one on the very top and place tools in as shown in pic. Rememver to angle the tool tips as far away from radio as possible while inserting.You will know when they engage as you will feel a click and tool will spring back when exposed part is pushed outward

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/C7E31B194F6340B3B1461A0B8A69D17B.jpg[/IMG]
Spread all four tools outward at the same time and then pull radio out.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/3670A4F18D00478A9057D474CD32C528.jpg[/IMG]
This is what the spring clip that you are working against looks like with tools in place.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/1F83F7E30A984A878A7E1B7D27D30DC7.jpg[/IMG]
Same spring clips with no tool installed.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:41 AM

Thank you again...now, the radio has still not showed up yet, but when it does and I go to do the removal/installation, I am sure these questions will be inevitable...

1. Is the wiring harness/connector the same on a 2004 radio as a 2005-06? If so, will the '04 unplug and the '05-'06 plug in without issue?

2. Is the satellite antenna connector part of the main connector, or is it separate?

3. If it is separate, is it the same as the connector on a Sirius or XM satellite radio receiver (asking this so I can use the existing equipment that I already have)...I understand this may be a tough Q to answer...

4. If it is NOT the same as the Sirius/XM receiver setup, will my local Mazda dealer (John Holtz Mazda, Rochester, NY) have what I need to easily install the antenna, run the wire from the rear of the car to behind the dash and into the radio?

Thanks again so much for your helpful advice...

Old 04-06-2007, 06:50 PM

05 Radio will plug right into the factory harness. Connector and even wire colors are all the same. The satellite harness will plug into an unused connector cavity on the back of the audio unit. Do not know if your existing system will be compatible but I doubt it. This kit was developed with Sirius to fit Mazda audio unit and probably some other brands. Will have to see once you get the audio unit from ebay if your system has the same connector. Local dealer may have the kit in stock as it is pretty much the universal one for all of the sat radio capable Mazda's. Part number is 0000-81-G01A. (those are all zero's and not the letter O ). MSRP is $380. Can get exact same kit from www.onlinemazdaparts.com for $304.
Are you planning to install yourself or have dealer/audio shop do it. The kit will come with a complete set of install and operatinginstructions but if you want to get a preview of what install will be like then PM me witha fax # and will get a copy out to you.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:24 PM

$300??? WOW! I wasn't expecting a simple antenna and wire to be that much. I hope the existing Sirius set up I have will work with the factory unit.

In other news, the dummy who sent me the 2005 Trib. radio from Ebay sent me the wrong unit. I noticed that he had a Nissan unit for sale at the same time, and he accidentally sent me that one instead. Now it will probably be a month before I get the Tribute radio in my hands, if I get it at all!

Quick Reply: radio removal problems