Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

HELP - 01 v6 Tribute

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Default HELP - 01 v6 Tribute

Hi - I just found this site and thought that I would ask a few questions.

For the past three weeks we have been having idle problems with our car. It starts fine. But until the car heats up it revs high and then it drops out causing us to stall at lights etc. It runs fine when the car has been heated up (driven for about 5km)

We took it in for a service and they ran a code check on it and everything came back fine. Within a day the engine light had come back on and we took it back. They have since replaced the valve and sensor and it is still doing the same thing. They still have my car and started it this morning and it did the same thing.

Can anyone shed any light for us - it just seems to be costing us $$$ at the moment and the mechanics dont really know what they are doing.

Thanks in advance

Old 02-12-2008, 07:05 PM
Default RE: HELP - 01 v6 Tribute

THis is a post from Babyhuey on a 2001 tribute with idle and stalling issues, just do a search for the word idle.

Would give you a 99% probability that you have a failing/sticking IAC valve . Not a very uncommon issue in either the Tribute or Btruck with exactly as you describe. TheIAC or Idle Air Control valve does exactly what its name implies. It controls the rpm that your engine will run at an idle only. It it sticks or is failing then you will be able keep engine running by feathering the throttle but engine will stall if no external control is given. If you know where the valve is located then then next time it is acting up and not wanting to idle, give the valve a good tap with the handle of a screwdriver or some other tool and would bet that the idle will suddenly be normal. If you are not sure of location then give a post back and will take a pic of one so you can try this test.

Hope this helps

Old 02-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Default RE: HELP - 01 v6 Tribute

Thankyou for that - I had actually read that post - but our problem is a little different.

Is there someone that knows where the IAC valve is - a picture would be great!

Ta tandk