Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Default Gas Mileage

Yesterday I checked the gas mileage of my 2003 Tribute (6 cylinder), and it turned out to be 17 MPG. That number seems quite low. Is that what I should expect in the city? If the number is low, other than a tune-up, what steps can be taken to try to improve the number? The car seems to be running well. I guess the exceptional pickup comes at a cost!

Old 09-19-2007, 07:59 AM
Default RE: Gas Mileage

I get about 20-21 mpg on the hwy, no better than 17-18 locally.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:21 AM

I got my 2002 tribute v6 last week, very thirsty, 16liters unlead around city. is that normal? anyone considering convert it to LP gas?

Old 10-04-2007, 05:11 AM

how much is the MPG convert to km per liter.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:31 AM

hi, I calculated the units and got 14.7 MPG, that is after I changed the engine oil and tranny oil, and put a K and N filter in. what should I do.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:43 PM

My 2006 gets 20mpg around the city and 22-24 highway I am now over 25,000 miles and the engine is broken in with peak horsepower and tourqe. I have a K&N filter and drive so many miles that i get and oil change monthly and the dealer does a full circle inspection every time to ensure tire pressure is right and all fluids are topped off.

This idea could be posted in a new post, but there a lot ofrumorsthat recylcled oil being used by those oil change shops (30 min in and out). I personally noticed a dramatic change in engine perfomance and fuel efficiency and even oil break down extremes when I tried to be lazy and go to these places. I now only go to the dealership for all my work. It not only increases it resale value but I know they would not stoop toputting inrecycled oil, and they know what and how to work on the car. Think about this... to work at the dealer you need experience, training, and certification and then get paid better wages... they know the cars they work on. Those other places pay their people minimum hourly wages and hire off the street and I have witnessed them looking on the computer, in books and even calling other stores to try and locate the oil filter and drain plug (on the car not the part numbers). Thats just my 5 cents. \\

Oh yeah, I am not against recycling and protecting the enviroment and such, but when these people recycle the oil the literally just filter it. Nothing else gets recycled and turned back into the same product; milk jugs to plastic bags, newspaper to egg cartons, etc. There is a certain degree of break down that occurs and there is a reason they do it like that.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:23 AM

Note to Detox:

I doubt recycled oil is used by anyone for automobiles. The stuff is more expensive than virgin oil refined from crude oil. Do a google search on 'recycled oil' andmost sources will indicate that the market for recycled oil is weak since it costs more money to clean it than justusing crude as the base to begin with.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:27 AM

hi, I calculated the fuel comsumption today, 270km used 47 liters, that is 17.4liter/100km. I think it is too much even it is around city carrying three people(280kg). my friend's Pajero just hit 20liter mark and it is heavier and 3.5. I justgot the car three weeks and the lady who sold it to me said she got 10 liters on the highway. that is not possible if it is 17.4 around city. my conclusion is people from different countries are the same when they want to sell their cars. you will foundpeople from the "developed" countriesliving in a big house still cheating andyou mightfind some people from developing country are honest.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Default RE: Gas Mileage--2006 Tribute with V6

I've had my 2006 Tribute for about 4 weeks now(purchased used from Mazda dealer). Just got back from my first mostly-interstate trip. Got a little over 24 MPG both ways. I've been getting 20-21 around town, consistently. I thought the first tank I had measured wrong, but have been pleasantly surprised. Plenty of power and good gas mileage as well.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:55 AM

I have a 2003 V6 and have never done better than 19mpg in the city.

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage