Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Front Door Sail Panel Tweeter Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 05:45 PM
Default Front Door Sail Panel Tweeter Install

Took these (ones that look just like these) off of a fairly pristine Tribute at the junkyard today. I don't have factory installed door tweeters on my Tribute, and I can't find any info on 'adding' them to a model without them. There's no corresponding harness in the door. I think this will have to wired from the back of the radio, unless there's way to just hook it to the door speaker. Any ideas?

Old 10-29-2018, 03:35 PM

I have the factory tweeters but it probably irrelevant. You will need to source either a component set of front speakers (which will come with door mid-range, tweeters and the crossover wiring to connect the two. Failing that you will need tweeter and crossover wiring to attach to the standard front door speakers.

I cut a mounting hole into the sail panel and surface-mounted the tweeters (I used Alpine units). They came with crossover wiring which runs down inside the door to connect in parallel with the door speakers (either new or standard). No new wiring to the head unit is required.

Tweeter sail panel install

As mine had the sail panels already I can't comment if adding the panels needs any special hardware in the door, from memory the panels just push into grommets in the door so should be ok to replicate...

HTH

Old 10-30-2018, 09:25 AM

I'll go back tomorrow and see how it's hooked up. If the door speakers have the crossovers, I'm set. Thanks!!

Old 10-30-2018, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by ocgiii
I'll go back tomorrow and see how it's hooked up. If the door speakers have the crossovers, I'm set. Thanks!!
There is factory wiring in the door between the std door speakers and the sail panel tweeter, IIRC the crossover is mounted to the door speaker but check both ends and pull all the speaker wiring out of the door and you should be good to go. Wiring to the head unit is just the std speaker pos/neg 2 wires, all the additional stuff is in the door.

If the vehicle has the tweeters it should be 7-speaker spec with the 7" sub in the trunk right side but that is fairly complex to wire up to an aftermarket head unit even in a car with it fitted as std. Its not the biggest but adds a nice kick, especially if you can get it running at proper power output as I have. Let me know if you need more info on that, if you want it you'll need the RH trunk trim panel, sub box with amp mounted to it and the wiring harness plug and as much wiring tail as you can retrieve.