Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

CD4E Transmission woes and possible fixes?

Old 05-27-2019, 04:48 PM
Default CD4E Transmission woes and possible fixes?

Im determined to try and get something out of this suv I mistakenly bought. Have not ventured out to junkyard... going to try and take cross ref photos for possible 5spd conversion only if the $$ is less than a rebuilt auto trans. And I mean less than $1k.
Its an 08 Tribute i 2.3l 2wd w/160k original on trans and ?? On motor.
Ive so far done a band aid on valve body and did not get to the pump assembly( very concerned about it). <has not been ran yet since...The seller decided to bounce around harmonic balancer and timing issues, car was running but eventually started to have rough engagement. I will be checking alignment of crank and cps here shortly this week.
after seeing the problems that this auto trans encounters, Im looking at alternatives to try if I cannot get the auto trans to settle out.

For starters I do not know the type of manual trans is paired with the 2.3l? Not sure if the Ford Escape or merc mariner is possible donor for ECU/PCM.

Regardless, I will try to find one with 8th dig vin (Z). And if I do I will snap several photos of what Im pretty sure will need swap.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:10 PM

Not sure I follow, crank, harmonic balancer and cps sensor wont affect the trans engagement.

if engagement is a bit rough have you tried a fluid change?

Old 05-28-2019, 06:33 AM

Yes fluid has been changed, no heavy metal bits. Very fine particles at first fluid swap. I drained again and downd The car. waiting on valve body accumulator o-ring.