Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Battery Size? Door Handle? Power Windows?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 02:34 AM
Default Battery Size? Door Handle? Power Windows?

I'm not much of a Car Wizard and new to the board,
so Im sorry if there is a section for these questions.

My battery just dies over the weekend and wanted to replace it.
I wasnt sure if car batteries had sizes. Is it just a 12v or something?

About a week before the battery died, I used my super human strength
to brake of my interior door handle. I dont know how that happened but it did.
So I was wondering if they sell those.

Last question is about power windows. They seem to have died on me.
A few friends told me since it was probably a fuse because they all stopped working at the same time.

Funny thing is that I cant even get out of the driver side because the door handle is gone and I cant bring the window down to open it from the outside.

Thanks for any help to my questions folks.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:13 PM
Default RE: Battery Size? Door Handle? Power Windows?

Hi TheDreaming

I am ADreaming of a visit to your locaal

Virtually all car batteries are 12 volt ( 12.6V to be exact ). Car batteries do have different sizes and configurations. The V6 Trib takes a 40R battery, 4 cyl will take a 96R.

Don't feel bad about that superhuman strength. Has not been too uncommon for inner handle to break and yes it is available as a separate part. Multiple part numbers depending upon application but prices range from $50-$75. Your local dealer can look up exact part # with VIN (or I can if you want to PM me the 17 digit number) and should be able to find a bit cheaper at www.onlinemazdaparts.com

Fuse for the power windows is always a good place to start checking if they all quit at once. The power window fuse is located in the underdash fuse box. Access to the box is just to the left of where your left foot would be if sitting in the drivers seat. Can't miss the rectangle cover that pops right off. You will see two vertical rows of fuses. At the very bottom are two larger pink ones that should have the number 30 printed on both. The power window fuse is the rear most one. The one next to it or closer to front of vehicle is for power door locks and power seat. If an inspect does not show if the fuse is blown or not then just swap the two. If suddenly the windows work and locks do not then a new fuse would be in order.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:25 PM

Awesome!
Thanks for all your help.
I'll try switching the fuse to see if thats the problem.
Also thanks for the links to that parts site.

Old 04-22-2006, 07:31 AM

Well it looks like I have another question.
This one being about that door handle
that was ripped off by my super human strength.

I plan on switching the broken handle
with the one from the back seat.
I do plan on getting another one,
but I'll wait until I can find it cheap or at all.

Back to my question.
Do I need to pull off the entire panel?
Or can I just unscrew the housing for the opener?

Thanks again for the help.

FYI I changed the battery and the fuse,
so my car is up and running again.
Maybe I should be a mechanic or something.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:28 PM

Not sure that front and rear will be compatible. Have never tried myself but part numbers are different so would assume there is some difference. You will need to remove the panel as there is just not enough room to remove release cable. Below are some drawings of the four screw locations that need to be removed from the front door trim. Inner handle trim is also held on with a little hook at the rear which can be released by trying to slide trim rearward and pulling straight out. Pull panel straight out starting at the bottom to release the other retaining clips. Clips are very tight and hard to get panel loose. Be persistant and they will release. Other drawing is of the handle and how to release the cable. With inner handle in 'lock' position, just lift up where is marked 1 and will come right out.

Very Important note: Referring to last picture. When going to reinstall door panel, take the plastic clips (Far left in pic) out of the door sheet metal holes and install them to the clips that came off with the door panel (center in pic) so that they look like the clip on far right making sure that the little ears on far left slip can be easily compressed inward. Reinstall this assembled clip into the removed door panel and install the door panel. They WILL NOT go together if you just leave the clips in the sheet metal and door panel and try to mash them in. I guarantee every one will break and door panel will flop around like a fish. You must squeeze the expansion ears on the far left clip from the inside of door to release.

Glad to hear you resolved the other two problems.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/D61993ED91F341AEBA6BB701624AD56D.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/E6C5A4BE86B748B4B178005215AA2BAA.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/F0E1D91C72A04BAB98844DA70697FA30.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/9881951D62FB4415951C268E8A9D9818.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/C7036CAC000E4F2D88DAC1C70A4B79F3.jpg[/IMG]