Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

After changing dead battery....

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 10:27 AM
Default After changing dead battery....

....my radio/cd player won't come on, my fob doesn't work and it won't program, my trip odom defaults back to 0 when I restart the vehicle in my 2002 Tribute LX. There's some funny stuff going on w/ the electrical system.....anyone else had this problem? I'm hoping it's something really simple because I've had 3 different answers to what the problem is from 2 different Mazda dealers and the 800 customer service people....

Please help!

Old 07-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Default RE: After changing dead battery....

Anything else not working that was working before? Dome lights??
Would think the best place to start would be checking to make sure that there are no blown fuses. Pay particular attention to the #27 or ROOMfuse in the underdash fuse box. This fuse is a 10 amp fuse located at the very bottom of the fuse box just to the right of two large 30 amp fuses.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:23 AM

Thanks babyhuey....you've saved me a trip to the dealership......I had checked all the fuses, but didn't check that one because it's in a location that I didn't even see.....thanks, bh....you're a genius!

Old 07-11-2007, 06:10 PM

You are more than welcome stowe425. That room fuse is indeed in a very tricky location to see and easy to miss.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:40 PM

babyhuey,

I saw where your last response on this particular thread was in July of 2007, but I just wanted to let you know that you are a life saver. My 2004 Mazda Tribute was doing the exact same thing. After replacing the battery, the starter, AND the alternator....

the problem still persisted. However, after my wife read this thread and we replaced the ROOM fuse, the problem has now gone.

Just so you know, we called the Mazda Dealership in Alexandria, Louisiana and the service department was just as confused as we were. In the beautiful words of my wife.....

YOU ARE SOOOO THE MAN!!!!!

Old 09-25-2008, 06:19 PM

I had the exact same situation...totally at a loss. My wife's battery was dead. I replaced the battery and the radio, dome lights, and remote key fob were all malfunctioning. I checked the ROOM fuse and sure enough, blown. Hopefully it was a spike due to jump starting it, but now I am concerned that there is a short. Have any of you had problems with this since you replaced the fuse? By the way...awesome post babyhuey

Old 01-28-2009, 11:38 PM
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by babyhuey
Anything else not working that was working before? Dome lights??
Would think the best place to start would be checking to make sure that there are no blown fuses. Pay particular attention to the #27 or ROOMfuse in the underdash fuse box. This fuse is a 10 amp fuse located at the very bottom of the fuse box just to the right of two large 30 amp fuses.
Thanks so much! Just brought my car in - blew the main fuse by jumping the car incorrectly (whoops). Noticed the radio,key fob, dome light didn't work. Stupid Pep Boys said it was something about the radio security code. I knew they were completely wrong but you gave me the answer - pulled out the ROOM fuse (On a Protege) and boom - it was blown. Thanks again - save me a trip from having to deal with them again (which even for free isn't worth it)

Old 04-14-2012, 08:18 AM

This post was a life saver for me. We recently bought my daughter a Mazda cx7, 2007 and I left the lights on and ran the battery down. my brother-in-law jumped it for me but then the same thing happened as runningeod....dome lights, key fob, radio, display, all not working. talked to 3 different mazda dealers and nobody seemed to know what the ROOM fuse was or where it was located. took it to my local mechanic with a print out of this blog and 5 minutes later it was all fixed. The ROOM fuse for this car is #1 in the underdash fuse box. Thanks again for the help!

Old 12-10-2015, 09:07 PM
Default 2002 Mazda Tribute

Had a dead battery, now I have no remote door locks, dome light, radio. Turn the key to the on, but not started, door locks work by switch, only the locks.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:33 AM

I've got a '06 Tribute that has simular problems (again)....

No windows, doorlocks, indicators, lights etc. The small lights in the headlights do burn on contact but all the time regardless the switchposition. Last summer in Belgium I had exactly the same and the local Ford dealer solved it quickly and cheap by replacing a fuse.

Now it is back but I didn't pay attention to the location of the fuse. After reading the 1st reply here I looked in my car but the "underdash"fusebox is in my car in the centreconsole/passengerfootspace. Number 27 is in the middle.

Can anyone help me with the location of the ROOMfuse in my '06 2.3L 5M Tribute??

Quick Reply: After changing dead battery....