Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

2004 v6..replacing water pump..any special tools?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 11:07 AM
Default 2004 v6..replacing water pump..any special tools?

As the title says I am going to be replacing the water pump. I own the Haynes manual and will be referencing that but it all seems overwhelming when I think about having everything I need before I start. Was wondering if there are any special tools I may need to acquire before starting this job? Any advice on replacing the pump in general is also appreciated!

Old 11-14-2021, 07:30 PM
ipn

Not that i remember , 3/8" drive sockets make it easier .

Old 11-14-2021, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by ipn
Not that i remember , 3/8" drive sockets make it easier .
Okay thank you!

Old 11-15-2021, 04:23 AM
ipn

Originally Posted by Helpneededasap
Okay thank you!
No drama , i've recalled it was far easier also if one removed the battery and battery tray , its just a few bolts and made a heap of room , maybe also the whole air cleaner box too , its going back a few years now , good luck

Old 11-16-2021, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by ipn
No drama , i've recalled it was far easier also if one removed the battery and battery tray , its just a few bolts and made a heap of room , maybe also the whole air cleaner box too , its going back a few years now , good luck

Wow thanks!! I was wondering how in the world I was going to maneuver around all that. Somehow removing the battery and tray never occurred to me lol. You just made my life so much easier. Going to tackle today, I'll let you know how it goes!

Old 11-16-2021, 03:51 PM
ipn

Wow thanks!! I was wondering how in the world I was going to maneuver around all that. Somehow removing the battery and tray never occurred to me lol. You just made my life so much easier. Going to tackle today, I'll let you know how it goes!
Lol , i'm not smart! , it took me a few bangs on the elbow , a few dropped spanners and a lost socket behind the battery so i had to loosen the battery anyway and whilst i was doing that the LIGHTbulb went off , good luck and i hope all goes well .

Old 11-16-2021, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by ipn
Lol , i'm not smart! , it took me a few bangs on the elbow , a few dropped spanners and a lost socket behind the battery so i had to loosen the battery anyway and whilst i was doing that the LIGHTbulb went off , good luck and i hope all goes well .

Well its taken me over an hour to get the bolts on the battery tray loose... But this is my first time, and they are super worn (stripped?)
Do you know how to tell if it's the water pump or the thermostat? I have looked up a lot of diff info and can't really come up with anything conclusive. Again, I greatly appreciate your knowledge and help! Lifesaver!!

Old 11-17-2021, 04:12 AM
ipn

Well its taken me over an hour to get the bolts on the battery tray loose... But this is my first time, and they are super worn (stripped?)
Do you know how to tell if it's the water pump or the thermostat? I have looked up a lot of diff info and can't really come up with anything conclusive. Again, I greatly appreciate your knowledge and help! Lifesaver!!
i do not understand what you mean

Old 11-20-2021, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by ipn
i do not understand what you mean
thats okay. I ended up replacing the water pump and the thermostat but it is still overheating!

Old 11-20-2021, 09:20 PM
ipn

Boiling overheating? or getting just hot via the temp gauge , fans coming on?

Check to see if the gauge is working correct , other than that and properly burping the coolant system it could be many reasons imo ., good luck